What's new

What did 3DS leave out of Keyshot for 3D Systems?

JST

Alibre Super User
I already know that the import files are limited to just the ones used by GMD, or basic keyshot filetypes.

There seem to be many other things covered in the manual , tutorials, and quicktips that are not present in KS6 for 3D Systems. Are these just representative of the difference between KS PRO and regular basic keyshot? Or were other features left out besides the import options?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
See https://www.keyshot.com/features/ Keyshot for Geomagic does not have the features listed under Pro, Animation, or VR. Also the importers are excluded (GD exports to bip instead). No network rendering - that is a paid extra for all versions I believe. Resolution is limited as you are already aware.

Keyshot for Geomagic is (more or less) what Luxion used to sell as Keyshot CAD - they don't seem to offer that any more. Presumably they give Geomagic a pretty good deal and hope to get some trade ups when users decide they want the extra capabilities of the more capable editions.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Keyshot for Geomagic has resolution limit, but quite a lot better than the old Keyshot CAD - there was a deal some while back that increased available resolution at expense of import functions, I think the limit may have increased again with Keyshot for Geomagic. It is pretty good now, but I don't think 'unlimited' is available. Happy to be proven wrong on that...

JST

Alibre Super User
My copy has resolution presets to 2690 x 1600 which is finer than I can see on the display, which is 1920 x 1200. Might be limited for poster sized pictures. If a pixel was 1mm square, that would be a poster sized about 5 x 9 feet.

Then there is custom, and I don't know what the limits there are.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
To convert resolution to image size, divide image resolution by printed dpi.
In your case 2690 X 1600 yields an image 8.97 X 5.33 @ 300 dpi.

JST

Alibre Super User
That assumes pixel=dot. And that is the case for some regular printing, but not necessarily so for large poster formats. 300 dpi is about 0.1mm per dot, requiring very good printing accuracy. Likely many of the printers advertising that resolution can print a dot that size, but may not be that accurate in PLACING the tiny dot. Both are needed to use the resolution in physically small images.

Commercial digital photography 20 or so years ago had cameras in the 25 to 50 megapixel range. I don't know what pixel resolution that equates to, but it made large poster size images that looked good even up close. They were limited more by the printing process.

A more useful way of looking at it is the percent of image dimension that one pixel is. That is independent of size.

However, this does not necessarily relate to the resolution allowed by Keyshot. I don't know what the limits are for custom resolutions, and I certainly have no way of checking if any particular resolution is achieved. The standard listed resolutions are pretty darn good.