What's new

What do you use for Draft Analysis?

Latitude

Its generally used for molded parts (or molds) to make sure that the part can eject from the tooling without issues.

Here's a video example:

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Unless someone knows something I don't, draft analysis isn't available in Alibre, not even sure if it's on the list of enhancements.
Best bet may be to export a STEP model for import into SolidWorks to run DA with it.

Latitude

Thanks @HaroldL

Anytime, @sz0k30

For anyone else that has this problem, not free but https://www.glovius.com/ did work. Added benefit, it also does thickness analysis.

There seemed to be a way to do it on Blender but it didn't work for me so if you'd like a free option you can give that a shot. Alternatively if you just want to analyze planar faces, DesignSpark Mechanical's free tier would work too but at that point you might as well use the measure tool in Alibre.

Edit: Actually DesignSpark Mechanical free tier works fine!

Last edited:

Oldbelt

Alibre Super User
Draft is added as a part of the design process, it has to be added in the part modelling process, designing moulded parts.
Then there is now need for a draft analysis SW.
I have never in my 45 year out in the industry as design boss for mechanical engineers needed such a SW,
skilled Mec. engineers "think" in draft when designing parts.

Latitude

@Oldbelt Yes some people do hold that opinion.

I do agree that thinking in draft when designing molded parts is essential.

However I believe adding draft upfront is not essential - in fact it is counter productive since we have multiple vendors all with different draft requirements. The exact draft angle also depends on the surface finish specified. Neither the vendor nor the surface finish is decided till later in the development process.

The draft must be added later in the design process once you know which vendor, and what surface finish you are going with. The one exception to this is if you're doing complex surfacing then it's better to add the draft upfront but Alibre doesn't have surfacing tools so not really an issue here.

Oldbelt

Alibre Super User
we have multiple vendors all with different draft requirements. The exact draft angle also depends on the surface finish specified.

It is strange you not knew your vendors specification for surface finish when you make a contract for a injection tool.
The charmille spec. gives the need for the amount of draft.

Latitude

DesignSpark changed their free tier to no longer allow STEP import.

I finally found a good solution for this that has a perpetual license: https://www.3d-tool.com/en-cad-viewer-faq.htm

It would be a dream come true if Alibre might be able to partner with them to allow their software to read native alibre files without having to export it to STEP but for now I am happy to have a solution that works.

M00m137

Visualizing draft is a really handy tool, especially for complicated split lines and surfaces. We don't do a lot of moulded parts, so a 3rd party tool seems overkill, but it's something I miss from Creo.

Latitude

It turns out they also have a free viewer that supports STL files if that's something you're interested in! I am likely to spring for the paid version since this is pretty important to me but free might work out for you.

Oldbelt

Alibre Super User
It is strange you not knew your vendors specification for surface finish when you make a contract for a injection tool.
All this work around described in this thread is waste of time.
The vendor who ask you to make a injection tool have together with an industrial designer decided how the products visible surfaces
shall look like. This is basis for selection of drafts, so draft is always a major factor in the design process and cant be added later,
whiteout mishmash of part assembly lines etc.

M00m137

The vendor who ask you to make a injection tool have together with an industrial designer decided how the products visible surfaces
?
I *am* the industrial designer. I am applying draft as part of the design process. I want to check I am applying it to the correct surfaces, and in the correct direction (I'm sure as toolmakers you've seen designers get that wrong - I know our toolmakers have!). Alibre doesn't have the capacity to let me easily visualize that. It's a useful capacity to have in the CAD software, so you can check as you go along - a 3rd party option is a second-best solution, but a handy option nonetheless.

Oldbelt

Alibre Super User
No one, but I have during 50 years as mechanical design manager and concept boss,
in 4 big world know companies, implemented Cad , managed groups of mechanical engineers,
and learnt them how to design parts.
Its is basic and have nothing to du what I have done in 2023, this question is offending.:confused:

Ed S.

This is kind of a lame work around, but could you change the color of the drafted surfaces, then orient the part so that you are looking directly down on them. you wouldn't have anything quantitative, but you might be able to visually check if the different color shows up where it should.

Latitude

@Oldbelt

Applogies I was a bit frustrated that I was just trying to help anyone else using Alibre that might have the same issue and thats the response I got which I felt was a bit rude.

Sorry that it might have been a bit offensive and I agree with David, different workflows.