What's new

What Paint To Use

RocketNut

Alibre Super User
I want to paint a PLA print, but I do know what paint would be the best to use ( Acrylic, enamel, nail polish )?

Stu3d

Use a primer first as it will then accept any paint you choose plus you can sand it down to a smooth finish, internet search will guide you towards the best primer suitable for pla available in your country although most types will be fine.

Ex Machina

I've actually used Zinc primer, a sub-case of what Stu3d suggests, and it works really well. It's also pretty thick which means that it almost eliminates print lines. However, if you want dimensional accuracy it's not the way to go because even with sanding it down, I haven't been able to get good results in that respect.

Also, bear in mind that assembled parts will cause the paint to flake off. Primer helps in that respect but even then you might get flaking later on because of vibration and such.

Stu3d

Last batch of primer I bought was Hycote Plastic Primer which has done a good job in a high wear environment, custom stair nosing for top step in a house.