What's new

What to use to sand PLA models?

oldfox

Alibre Super User
What type/grade of paper/cloth do you folks use to sand your PLA models? I don't plan on using acetone at all.

TIA

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Acetone will do nothing to PLA.

Start with something really coarse, maybe 120 grit. Depends how rough the surface is then go finer and finer. PLA is a dog to sand. And wet sanding is best. If you're gonna paint the model then after an initial coarse snading you can do a few cycles of filler primer.

oldfox

Alibre Super User
Thanks Seb. I heard one account from one of the YouTube "experts" that Acetone will work only if the PLA has additives in it. You are right about
"PURE" PLA. And I wouldn't know where to begin to dissolve cane or corno_O.

I probably can find some old 120 and finer sandpaper if I look around. Leftovers of a time when I had tools and was doing woodworking.
Ever tried a Dremel (dental drill and burrs) on PLA? Just for the really coarse stuff.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Shuttle. Imperial shuttle. ;)

That shuttle was printed on my old printer. Only had a build volume of 220x150x150. Want to reprint it on my CR-X at 300x300x400.

oldfox

Alibre Super User
Well, excuuuuuuuuuuuse me.;)

Are you sure that it isn't a camouflaged Tie Fighter????:D

oldfox

Alibre Super User
Seriously though, I've got a long climb up that learning curve. Still trying to learn the basic and fundamental things about 3D printing. Just now
experimenting with 'tuning' on the run. Just have to figure out what fixes what's broke. When I get something that I don't have to hang my head
about, I'll post some pix.