What's new

When reopening after saving, the bearing shafts lose location and I'm forced to redo the concentric restraints

The top layer is supposed to rotate and does so adequately until I reopen the file because the bearing spuds lose location. Not difficult just annoying??

Attachments

• first full fledged assy..AD_PKG
    1,007.1 KB · Views: 2

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
When I opened your assembly it looks and functions Okay. It appears you replaced some of the coaxial constraints:
replaced constraints.png
Just delete the Red coaxial constraints since they are missing one component of the constraint then Save the file.

Thanks for your time. I'm seeing some other issues now.!
It's getting worse!! Now when i re-open the individual bearing components ( ball bearings and races) retaining relationship (as in the circular location) to each other and if you look at the "parts list" document you will see the individual ball bearings inserted in the list???? That took me a while to figure that one out as you may see the bearings are listed individually?????????

the bearings are from the McMaster-Carr website (which I have borrowed from for years) where they offer mutiple 3D part formats. I usually take the step file. Now when I opened up the file that I sent, I had to "make flexible" since it wouldn't rotate! That is new!

Again I can't thank you guys enough!!! This a ton o fun and I'm really pretty excited about the whole project since I've spent about 90 percent of my life in southwestern US of A!! Millions of palm trees within miles!!

Attachments

• first full fledged assy..AD_PKG
    1,007.1 KB · Views: 2
  • parts list.PNG
    parts list.PNG
    163.5 KB · Views: 5
I just closed with out saving since i didn't want to capture the disarray! It opened fine and appeared to be fine until I "made flexible" Then bearing races lost location!! That appears to me to be an accurate description of the situation at this time!

Also I'm having issues with "swimming displays again!! When I open the original drawing to start assembling the assembly, I tell it to show reference geiomety! When I say "swimming displays" what I mean is that when I attempt to rotate the top ring, which is designed to "rotate" instead of rotating it "swims up and down". At that point everything is on location and in place. If I then hit the "make flexible" button (so it will rotate) then the bearings come apart at that moment!! So obviously I can't "make flexible" I really want to be able to "rotate" as that is major element of the design!!!!

One more time!!! How do I rotate the orientation of subassemblies to the main assembly once inserted in the assembly drawing!! Not having much success!!

Here's a screen shot to make it clear what I'm meaning!!! The tractors will "crawl" up the palm, which is the big round thing in the middle!!

Attachments

• assembly and subassembly orientation!!.PNG
    assembly and subassembly orientation!!.PNG
    185.4 KB · Views: 14
I just closed with out saving since i didn't want to capture the disarray! It opened fine and appeared to be fine until I "made flexible" Then bearing races lost location!! That appears to me to be an accurate description of the situation at this time!

Also I'm having issues with "swimming displays again!! When I open the original drawing to start assembling the assembly, I tell it to show reference geiomety! When I say "swimming displays" what I mean is that when I attempt to rotate the top ring, which is designed to "rotate" instead of rotating it "swims up and down". At that point everything is on location and in place. If I then hit the "make flexible" button (so it will rotate) then the bearings come apart at that moment!! So obviously I can't "make flexible" I really want to be able to "rotate" as that is major element of the design!!!!
Do I need to constrain the reference geometry of each new part as I introduce it to the assembly??

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Do I need to constrain the reference geometry of each new part as I introduce it to the assembly??

Not necessarily, if the part was created to make use of its reference geometry when added to an assembly then Yes. Generally though you can just use the parts surfaces for constraining.
If you are starting a new assembly then the first part added to that assembly must be constrained to the default planes or origin. As I pointed out when constraining the bearing assembly the inner race was constrained to the default axes of the assembly model then the outer race was constrained to the inner race using reference geometry planes for the coincident and curved surfaces for the concentric.

Harold, when I opened a bearing in a separate window, I could NOT get it to show any geometry. It would not let me constrain races with simple constraints. When attempting to do that it would say target no longer available?????

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Do you have Reference Geometry turned on in the View menu? If it's not selected it will hide all reference geometry even when you select "Show" it from the RMB menu.

1652396508137.png

albie0803

Alibre Super User
Either Right click the actual part or its name in the explorer tree, its in the popup menu
1652405875532.png
Or select the part/s and use the ALT+0 shortcut
Its a part by part action, but you can select multiple parts and then do it. There isn't a single "show all reference geometry" action.