What's new

Where has 3D sketching gone?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
What are you comparing against? I don't recall ever seeing 3D sketch in Atom3D.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
I've just looked back through some older posts - in the early Atom3D, the 3D sketch button was present (but greyed out) - it didn't work.

It was then removed - no loss of functionality, hopefully reduced levels of confusion.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Alibre Design still has 3D sketching - it's Atom 3D that doesn't have it.

Atom3D didn't exist in 2014.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Videos showed Expert - nobody has said here what that previous licensed version actually was.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
I am comparing it to my old version from 2014 that I upgrated from.
@DavidJ ! No version from 2014 to Atom3d is an 'upgrade', Atom3d is a lesser version of Alibre Standard/Pro/Expert than it ever was in 2014 (functionality wise), so unless it's still one of those variants (which it clearly isn't), then technically it's not an 'upgrade'. It's a 'newer' cut down version of Alibre, with less features.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Simon - I can't divulge details of another user's licence to you. There have been other products in the past.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Simon - I can't divulge details of another user's licence to you. There have been other products in the past.
Not asking you to David, just quoting what the user said he had in a previous post (#4)! I can only comment on the information I read. But from your comment, it sounds like more complex than has been inferred on here ... I shall comment no further.

JST

Alibre Super User
I used to have almost the lowest grade of Alibre, back prior to 3DSystems. It was pretty powerful, had most of what expert had, except no sheet metal, and a few other things. There was not a lot of detailed removal, it was a version without some extras, that's all. If there was 3D sketching back then, then I suspect it had that.

Then I upgraded, and ended up with Expert.