What's new

Where is this info stored?

jfleming

Alibre Super User
In the Part File Properties, where does this info get saved to when you select the "Set Current settings as the default settings for parts, sheet metal, and assemblies." ???

Is this in the User Profile?

<attached>

Attachments

• 10.png
    10.png
    56 KB · Views: 35

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Ok thank you. That was my fear
Why do you fear this? Note that this probably should say "set as the default for new parts, assemblies, etc." so this setting does not change a bunch of existing files. Therefore, the implications of setting it incorrectly are fairly minor, as you can just set it properly and recommit the change with the checkbox on.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Why do you fear this?
I think the fear is that because the User Profile gets corrupted with regular occurrence, that it soon becomes a single point of failure that ALL your setting rely on. I've reset mine to many times to mention and the process of just changing all the font names becomes very painful.

Could I suggest that a number of sub-profiles are generated for the various elements of the application, .i.e User.Profile.Appearance, User.Profile.Layout, etc. to remove the single point of failure.

... or better still, just find why the profile randomly gets corrupt and fix the root cause. I'm sure that would elevate any 'fear'.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Why don't you make a backup copy of your User Profile. Then when/if you need to reset it just copy the backup over. I think this was suggested before on the forum.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Why don't you make a backup copy of your User Profile. Then when/if you need to reset it just copy the backup over. I think this was suggested before on the forum.
So how often would you need to do that? Monthly? Daily? Before every opening of Alibre? How do you know the backup you revert back to isn't corrupt too? So, how many backups do you then have to keep? ... the list goes on.

Sure, I can back it up every day, but how many backups of your Windows Registry do you have? or backups of setting for other applications?

The bottom line is that the problem needs fixing or the method of storing settings needs to be more robust and fault tolerant. Storing of settings should be 100% transparent and not a concern of the user.

Ken226

Alibre Super User

How is this done? Can the profile copy be moved to another PC? I upgraded my laptop a few days ago and am still changing settings to match the old installation.

I'm accustomed to doing something similar in Mach3 CNC. All of the ballscrew pitch, stepper steps per unit, limit switch settings etc are saved in a file, which can be copied from computer to computer. Is there a similar profile file in Alibre somewhere?

BTW, the new laptop is a Lenovo lenovo IdeaPad, 82h8018sus with Windows 11, a Core I5 processor with 12gb of memory. It runs Alibre V24 like a champ. Keyshot renders very quickly with it as well

Last edited:

jfleming

Alibre Super User
@Max

I am trying to establish some standard settings/templates/etc. for multiple users here at our facility. The custom part information is part of that- "Make From" and "Next Assembly" are information that needs added/populated onto our Title Blocks. I don't really see any other way to capture that information without those custom fields. While I have this info saved to my profile, it means I must either go to every other user's PC and manually enter this information onto there machine and click the save as default, or have them do it.

~Not a huge burden, but because this info is stored local to each user, it creates some extra work on our end. Fortunately it is not 100 employees.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Jason,

If you are referring to custom properties, the definitions are held in a file "C:\ProgramData\Alibre Design\CustomPropDef.xml".

You could copy that file to other's machines.

To my mind it would be good if the option to specify a common CustomPropertyDef file were available, as is offered for threads - that would allow simpler management in a company.