What's new

Windows XP Home & Alibre - Anyone Using This Combo?

leeave96

Windows XP Home & Alibre - Anyone Using This Combo?

I notice that on the Alibre web site they list Windows XP Home version as being an operating system that will run Alibre. Anyone doing this and if so, how's it working out?

What do I loose with the "home" version vs "Professional" when running Alibre on a single non-networked PC at home?

What is the future for "home" vs "Professional" in terms of support?

Thanks!
Bill

indesign

Alibre Super User

I have it running on 2 copies of home and 1 pro. I do not have the repository however I see no difference between them on my standard version.

cclark440

Alibre Super User

I run XP Home at home and Pro at work. I have not noticed any difference between the two. I do use the repository on both systems, and there is now difference there either.

demarchi

On my laptop I have the Xp home. With 256Mb of Ram, and an integrated graphic card (using shared memory) I would say it is a miracle, but it works fine.

marm37co

I prefer Alibre with WinXP Pro. I think work faster and stable. I think that Win XP Pro manage better the memory and this have direct relation with the Alibre work.

I run Windows XP Home with the following hardware:

AMD Duron 1.8 GHz Processor
VGA Asus/Raedon A7000/T/64Megabyte 4x AGI Video Card
2 x 1 Gigabyte sticks of DDR226 (PC2100) Memory

I got all of that to upgrade my existing MotherBoard for only ~$250, just a little over a year ago. It is a real screamer! and Alibre runs just great on it with Window XP Home.

I can even run Alibre, AutoCad LT 2002, FireFox (internet webbrowser), my Database/Contact Manager and Widows Outlook (email) all at the same time with no trouble. Although I will say that on LARGE assemblies, Alibre' runs quicker, if I shutdown all of that other stuff.

Happy Independence Day! :D

Re: Windows XP Home & Alibre - Anyone Using This Combo?

leeave96 said:
I notice that on the Alibre web site they list Windows XP Home version as being an operating system that will run Alibre. Anyone doing this and if so, how's it working out?

What do I loose with the "home" version vs "Professional" when running Alibre on a single non-networked PC at home?

What is the future for "home" vs "Professional" in terms of support?

Thanks!
Bill

Anything that runs on Home will Run on Pro at the same level of performance. There is only one difference between the two that has anything at all to do with performance - Pro supports multiple processors, Home does not. So if you have only a single processor motherboard, you will notice no difference in performance between the two.

The real differences in Pro vs Home are security and encryption changes, and Home cannot join a domain. It can be a member of a workgroup, but not a domain. Basically, the pro has features that are typically used in a corporate environment, the home versions lacks many of them. Here's a rundown straight from the horse's mouth:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home ... sing2.mspx