What's new

Worm and Worm Gears

bolsover

I'm in the process of reverse engineering the dividing head I use on the lathe and needed to draw up a couple of worms together with the mating worm gears.
I thought I'd share here in case anyone else needs worms!
Calculate the values using WormCalculations.xlsx and enter into the input variables in Worm.AD_PRT.
The Alibre part file only works for single start worms but is easily modified if you need a 2 or more start helix.
20230227_155144.jpg

Screenshot 2023-02-27 160431.png

David

Attachments

• Worm.AD_PRT
    609 KB · Views: 10
  • WormCalculations.zip
    16.7 KB · Views: 12

Cator

Thanks David for the resource.
It would be nice to have a tutorial on using this tool for those who want to take full advantage of it!
Maybe @HaroldL or @Ken226 could help us with their experience on video tutorials.
Regards
Francesco

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I'm no expert in gears so maybe a written tutorial, by the originator, would be in order for this - in PDF format. Then it could be printed out as a desk reference.

bolsover

@Cator @HaroldL
Thanks both for the feedback. I'm actually thinking about building this into my utilities Add-On. The spreadsheet and part file are helpful when you only need the Worm but I guess most people will want both Worm and Worm Gear. My existing utilities Add-On can generate helical gears corresponding to a simple Worm Gear (as used on the dividing head). What I would really like to do is produce a utility that can handle Worm Gear 'Crowning' where the gear teeth are actually radiused to match the Worm.

Worm_Gear.gif

How to do this in Alibre though? I suspect quite difficult since the teeth will need to follow curves on two directions.

in the meanwhile, I'll try to put together a simple guide for the Worm and upload as .pdf.

David

albie0803

Alibre Super User
Worm Gear 'Crowning' where the gear teeth are actually radiused to match the Worm
This often happens during the grinding of the worm tooth as the wheel is a disk against a twisted surface. The same sort of thing happens with the wheel as it rotates past the Vee shaped cutter

bolsover

This often happens during the grinding of the worm tooth as the wheel is a disk against a twisted surface. The same sort of thing happens with the wheel as it rotates past the Vee shaped cutter
I've been trying to decide how a crowned Worm Gear might be modelled. I tried a boolean subtract - looked promising with just one Worm being subtracted. But of course you can't do a circular pattern of a boolean - Grr.
I pressed on and tried adding new planes and a couple of booleans but very quickly ended up in boolean hell.

I'm now thinking a swept cut might be the answer - not tried but I suspect there will be problems if I try to sweep anything other than a circle.

David

Screenshot 2023-03-01 174046.png

bolsover

@DavidJ Thanks - I should have tried that! Looks like a good approximation of what a gear cutter might achieve.

Just need Booleans and Circular Patterns adding to the API now :)

David

Attachments

• CrownedGearTest.AD_PKG
    4 MB · Views: 17

pridbor

Interesting topic!

But my PC froze up when I started to go through, opening edit for, the individual design steps, using the attached design in your last post.

I just updated to Alibre Design 26.0.0.26040.

Preben

bolsover

Interesting topic!

But my PC froze up when I started to go through, opening edit for, the individual design steps, using the attached design in your last post.

I just updated to Alibre Design 26.0.0.26040.

Preben
Mine didn't freeze - but did take a loooong time to apply the boolean.