What's new

Wrong version of OpenGL?

JST

Alibre Super User
So, I have used Keyshot 8 a few times with the new computer. Have NOT changed anything about it. It worked very nicely, fast rendering etc.

Today I tried to use it, and I get an error "KeyShot requires OpenGL 2.0, but (1.1.0) was found!"

Say WHAT? How did it work OK a week ago, and now it says it is missing a resource it needs?

So I let t upgrade to the latest version of KS8. No change.

I was under the impression that the NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti card was compatible with requirements, but now it is not?

When I try to use the NVIDIA control program, it says "you are not using a display connected to an NVIDIA GPU".

But the NVIDIA card is enabled, and the Intel graphics is not.

Last edited:

Max

Administrator
Staff member
It sounds like you're on a laptop and that the laptop uses the dreaded dual video card, which makes me absolutely positively certifiably insane, personally. In the laptop form factor, often you cannot disable the Intel card completely, which would make far too much sense. Your mileage may vary on your system, but often I've found it's impossible to disable.

The theory is that Windows detects when a 2D card, like your Intel, is sufficent (Excel/Internet) and exposes the more powerful GPU as needed, for example when using a 3D application.

Things to explore:
1) On your make/model of laptop, can you disable the Intel card completely - perhaps in the BIOS. Not saying you should run and just go do that - but figure out if for your laptop that is possible and what the steps are, and what to expect.

2) Browse thisfor some software related approaches.

3) Write your congressman and make them promise to force laptop manufacturers to stop making it so hard to let you choose which card to use all the time, if you want to.

JST

Alibre Super User
I did disable the Intel graphics, through device manager (at least it says I did). Now it says it is is using MS basic graphics, and refuses to use the NVIDIA.

The NVIDIA software does not even recognize the card, but the windows device manager says it is working correctly. I suppose the next is to disable the NVIDIA, then enable it.

This is all in the wake of running some hardware tests due to an unrelated problem that seems to be in WIN 10 (short random freezeups of 10 to 30 seconds). Apparently the tests switched the various video "cards" off and went to the most basic system to produce "stuff on screen" as a test of the screen hardware.

At one time I could get to the control program for the NVIDIA, but since it cannot find the card, it refuses to do anything.

Sorry to reference this elsewhere, but I have noticed this is not a very busy corner of the forum.

EDIT:

So now when both of the "cards" (Intel one is on the MB) are disabled through device manager. I still have screen display via "Microsoft Basic Display Driver". There are not two, but THREE possible display drivers on this system.

Then I re-enabled the NVIDIA card. BUT, it STILL says that "You are not currently using a display that is connected to an NVIDIA GPU."

When I re-enabled the Intel "card", the display turned to a more reddish-beige basic "white" than before. I turned that to "disabled" again and left the NVIDIA on.

However, it seems that perhaps it is chicken and egg.... the NVIDIA software cannot find the card because it is not "on" unless needed, which it never is when on the desktop.

Incidentally, I had noticed the shift to that red-beige before, and could not understand what it was. Evidently it was switching to the Intel. Now that the Intel is switched off, I do not see that.

I do not know enough different languages to properly curse the relative of a sub-normal brine shrimp who devised this arrangement.

Last edited:

Max

Administrator
Staff member
I do not know enough different languages to properly curse the relative of a sub-normal brine shrimp who devised this arrangement.

Well said.

I think it's time to call Dell. It sounds like there is some underlying issue aside from the correct card not getting used. If you're seeing a red tint, something is off. The third driver you have is not card dependent and is MSFT's failsafe option to "display something, anything, at any FPS" prior to getting some proper video card drivers installed. That is the least favorable way to go, obviously.

I'd call Dell.

JST

Alibre Super User
Dealt with Dell. ZERO help on this.

I do not think the NVIDIA card has EVER been in use on this computer, and it still maybe is not.

Would this same stuff typically happen if the NVIDIA were simply not present? (I suppose I could pull it and see, but that is invasive on this machine)

Reasons:

1) The NVIDIA control center will not open UNLESS the Intel UHD on-board sysem is enabled. If disabled, the NVIDIA control panel does not open, and says the display is not connected to an NVIDIA GPU

2) The Keyshot program continues to show the "wrong Open GL" error message UNLESS the Intel "card" is enabled.

Does this make any sense?

BTW, I have selected Alibre and Keyshot to specifically use the NVIDIA, via the NVIDIA control center. No clue how I would tell if that did any good

I got the card as OEM equipment specifically for Alibre and Keyshot. Now it seems that NVIDIA is ONLY used if you plug n an external display, OR, maybe if the system "decides" that the NVIDIA "is absolutely required".

I think "brine shrimp" was being rather charitable as a description.

JST

Alibre Super User
The Dell person DID manage to get the NVIDIA to respond to the control center. I do not think he understood any more about the machine than what he actually did to get to that point.

Per your question: That depends.

If the Intel is disabled, and NVIDIA is on, it says basic windows.

If the NVIDIA is disabled and INTEL is on, it says Intel.

If BOTH are ENABLED, then, and only then, it says NVIDIA. That SHOULD mean it uses the NVIDIA, but I am not sure I believe it.

Why should it react that way to the Intel being disabled? Seems as if it should default to the NVIDIA (which is the one actually specified), if the Intel is not available. And why does the NVIDIA CC depend on the Intel being on?

The Intel being off also disables both NVIDIA CC and Keyshot. But the NVIDIA being off ONLY disables NVIDIA CC, Keyshot still works.

Finally, Task Manager reports about 1% usage on the Intel, and 0% on the NVIDIA.

Maybe some usage is going on, if I take my most complex model (the "wonky" one) and tumble it as fast as I can make it go, THEN I get a few percent usage on BOTH GPUs.

The entire business is very odd. I figured I could just turn off the one I did not want to use, but it seems that one (the intel) is the "master", controlling all.

Last edited:

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Keyshot will adapt and use whatever resource is available, CPU or GPU - that isn't a problem, but may make things more difficult to interpret.

JST

Alibre Super User
Keyshot will adapt and use whatever resource is available, CPU or GPU - that isn't a problem, but may make things more difficult to interpret.
Perhaps.

What's difficult to interpret is that Keyshot refuses to use the NVIDIA if Intel is disabled (will not even open, and claims there is no 2.0 capable device available, only a 1.1.0 device). BUT it has no problem using Intel if NVIDIA is disabled.

That makes it definitely seem as if the NVIDIA is not actually working, even though it is assigned to KeyShot in the NVIDIA control panel.

I would have thought the NVIDIA would be "found" if the Intel was not there. That does not seem to be the case.

Dell throws up their hands and simply says "that is a software problem" and they only warrant hardware. Cannot get a straight answer anywhere.

Last edited:

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Are your video drivers from Dell, or have you updated any from Nvidia/Intel ? These 'Optimus' systems are notoriously awkward if you don't have the correct (customised) drivers for the specific laptop.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Now it seems that NVIDIA is ONLY used if you plug n an external display, OR, maybe if the system "decides" that the NVIDIA "is absolutely required".
Do you have an external display and have you tried plugging it in to see if that makes a difference?

JST

Alibre Super User
Yes, and no.

It is supposed to handle external displays, have not tried it,. The external display does not have a connector compatible with the new computer, and it is lower res.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Done several times, nothing left there as far as I know.

Not sure what you mean by that.... If you've ever installed 'standard' drivers from Nvidia/Intel (or Windows updates has done it for you), you may need to do a 'clean install' of the correct (customised) drivers. Dell should know all about that....

That may not apply - but if it does you could waste a lot of time messing around.

JST

Alibre Super User
All the Dell driver updates have been done.

No general NVIDIA have been done.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Found elsewhere, may explain some of what you see... this was relating to a Dell G3

There are no physical video outputs connected to your Nvidia GPU; instead, the Nv GPU "passes through" and is controlled by the Intel APU via Windows Hybrid Graphics under Win10.

Also a suggestion in that particular thread on the Nvida froum that Windows updates can mess things up.

JST

Alibre Super User
So, my observation is correct, that the Intel is the controller.

That could have been made clear by Dell, but was not.

Last edited: