What's new

Z4G4

Cator

Hi all,
does anyone use the z4 g4 I have with the Xeon 2123? How's it going with our Alibre?
Regards Francesco

BobSchaefer

Do you have any questions about it working? Is that it? Which graphics option did you go with on the workstation? Looking at its specs it could be one of several different cards....

Alibre should work fine with it, as long as the video card supports DirectX...

Cator

Bob I intend to buy this: HP Z4 G4 W2123 3.60Ghz Nvidia P2000 Workstation and I wanted to know if anyone was already using it with alibre to know if it was suitable!

BobSchaefer

The only thing you really need to worry about, which I don't think is a problem, is that the video card is a quadro card. Alibre is built to work best with gaming video cards, due to it using direct-x instead of OpenGL. The quadro cards are optimized more for OpenGL based software, but should still work fine with Alibre.

Cator

Thanks Bob, given your experience I ask you: what does the graphic card affect in the use of Alibre and CAD in general? In the fluidity of the functions, especially in 2D or only in the rendering and rendering of edges and faces?

BobSchaefer

Its primarily in the rendering, so you should still get pretty good responses even though it is a workstation graphics card. I believe Alibre is more processor and memory hungry than video card hungry. But keep in mind before you throw a massive multiprocessor chip at it, it will only use 1 of those cores as its single threaded, so clock speed would be more important than the number of cores.

But, I'm not a power user when it comes to alibre, I'm very much on the hobbyist level with my most complicated design only having, maybe 100 parts in it, most are well below 50 parts normally, for me.