What's new

Another script failure in v27

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Hello Harold,

i've taken a look... it's not perfect...
i've tested it with your file.
after you run the script you will see this requester:
View attachment 39530
Then you should select the edge which will be used for the diameter for the fillet. Confirm with ok. If you have confirmed without an chosen edge, the script will wait as long as long as you coose an edge...
after an Edge is chosen you will be automatically asked for the face to be filleted.
View attachment 39531
if you have the two faces of the "wall" standing under an angle, you have to enter this angle (in your example 12°). If the faces are parallel you have to enter 0.
View attachment 39532
after confirming with ok the feature "Autofillet" will be added...
View attachment 39533

It works only with symetrical faces and will have other weaknesses...
If someone reports fails or wishes...

Regards
Stefan
I had occasion to use AutoFillet v0.5a and had it balk at the version of Alibre I am running. It ran OK after accepting the version warning but got me thinking about this functionality again.

So, I tried another method using the Fillet by sketching on the end face/plane of the rib and creating a circle tangent to the three edges of the rib. I then dimensioned the circle and made it a Parameter in the EE. I also created a new parameter that was equal to the diameter param/2 which I selected as the radius of the fillet when applied. That seemed to work ok and only left a very small flat face between the two fillets. I suppose I could have used a tangent Arc instead of a circle then I wouldn't have needed the extra parameter in the EE, could have linked directly to the arc radius parameter to drive the fillet radius. Oh well, next time....

Here's a screen shot of a sample part I created to test various width rib features with varying degrees of draft on the sides.

Full Face Fillet Radius Examples.jpg

I then thought of using a Loft Cut to create a Variable Full Face Fillet on a part that had draft and also changed width from end to end. The 3D guide curve sketches were created by projecting the edges of the rib into a 3D sketch. I also tried a centerline guide but it left some pronounced artifacts on the sides.

And here are those results when the loft is first created:

Full Face Fillet Loft Cut.jpg

I then used Remove Face to clean up the leftovers

Full Face Fillet Loft Cut wRemove Face.jpg

Now if only Alibre could do that with a native command that would be really great.

I'm attaching the models if anyone wants to examine them for build technique.

Attachments

• Full Face Variable Fillet.AD_PRT
    430.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Full Face Fillet Radius Examples.AD_PRT
    394.5 KB · Views: 3

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
Could you illustrate the steps or process?
create sketch2D
create extrusion
create draft
create sketch2D
create sketch2D
create sketch2D
create sketch3D
create sketch3D
create loft cut
create remove face
Anymore detailed information would be great. I think I understand, but any additional insight. You want a command that combines loft cut and selecting a face to remove? You pick sketches - loft cut is computed - select a face to remove - click OK?

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
You want a command that combines loft cut and selecting a face to remove? You pick sketches - loft cut is computed - select a face to remove - click OK?
If this is correct then I might be able to combine a few things together to make that work. The CreateRemoveFaceFeature function is missing from the API.
In situations like this it's possible to control the window with a macro to make a command. That's probably not what you want.
1713444898123.png
I'll see if the available APIs will provide a better result avoiding the need for the remove face feaure to clean up leftovers.

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
Your 3Dsketches are difficult to understand. I could try to write a command from scratch with the API for Full Face Variable Fillet. Is this what you want? I can start a project if this is something you or @MilesH are interested in.

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
Here's an approach to create the final loft from existing geometry. This processes can be made into a script or addon. You'll need to review the result, there is a difference. My loft 4 in the Reconstruction config is made from projected geometry.

1713451228450.png

Attachments

• Full Face Variable Fillet-with-configs.AD_PRT
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Your 3Dsketches are difficult to understand. I could try to write a command from scratch with the API for Full Face Variable Fillet. Is this what you want? I can start a project if this is something you or @MilesH are interested in.
The 3D sketches are just projected edges of the part into the 3D sketch. If a command could be written that would be super. I think I put in an enhancement request for this to support along with a variable fillet that has the option of adding more locations for changing the radius, but that is another subject.

(Technically, it is called a ROUND since it is on the outside edges, a fillet is on inside edges. But since the same CAD tool is used for both features it gets called a fillet.)
The result I want is to apply a full round to an edge of a part, this could be the rim of a glass, the rib of a molded part, the edge of a business card holder. SolidWorks, Onshape, Inventor, Fusion360, and Catia all have this function and by selecting either one or three faces the round is created that is tangent to the three faces with the edge face removed. I'm a bit surprised that Alibre hasn't added it a long time ago.

In my example using the Loft I had to use Remove Face because the Loft didn't follow the guide curve exactly to remove the top face. Ideally Remove Face wouldn't need to be used.
I'm not even sure if the ACIS kernel has this as a function that could be accessed for a native command.
As an example here's video for Fusion 360 showing how it applies a full round

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
Does my example file the reconstruction config provide an acceptable final result? My suggestions are only workarounds using existing features. Full round fillet is doing a lot more under the hood.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Does my example file the reconstruction config provide an acceptable final result? My suggestions are only workarounds using existing features.
It does for this small example. It is difficult to say what the results would be in other scenarios. If needed I do sometimes include the round feature at the sketch level rather than as a feature after the rib or boss is created, but that is not always possible.

Full round fillet is doing a lot more under the hood.
I suspect so, there is a lot to consider when creating the fillet or round. And, as I stated before, I'm not sure if the ACIS kernel has the necessary function to create the feature.

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
I'll continue work related to this here:

The short story is that I believe the AlibreX API is not complete enough to easily build a full round fillet. There are too many missing APIs to do it, which requires writing core face and edge code. One-off models can be automated, but a universal feature or tool will need more core functionality. I'll update Fillet_R_and_D repo with alternatives.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Is the AlibreX AP somehow related to the core functions of the ACIS kernel? How would Development go about creating this full round feature to run along with Alibre's fillet function?

It would be nice to know if a full round feature has been added to Alibre Development's hit list or given a expected version when it will, or ever will. be added to Alibre's feature set. Until then we'll have to do with whatever processes, scripts or otherwise, to get the job done. I suppose some of Alibre's determining factors will be 'how often it the feature used/needed' in order to prioritize it. I have a process worked out to create full rounds on simple designs, it gets more complicated when the part is more complex.

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
Is the AlibreX AP somehow related to the core functions of the ACIS kernel?
Not exactly. I only use public APIs that are somewhat documented which is AlibreX/Alibre Script.
How would Development go about creating this full round feature to run along with Alibre's fillet function?
Full round is a combination of face selection and standard fillet features, that auto-creates geometry tangent to adjacent faces that share an edge. Full round fillet could be added to the Fillet feature. Full round geometry can be created in Alibre, so I believe it's possible to do and the kernel is not the limiting factor. The pieces are already available, it just requires thought and need additional APIs and improvements before it can be added as a fillet type.

If Alibre's API had these properties and methods, it would be easy for users to build their own full round fillet feature:

TwoAdjacentFaces2 Method

Ref: https://help.solidworks.com/2014/en...erop.sldworks.iedge~gettwoadjacentfaces2.html

More complete Edge API

Ref: https://help.solidworks.com/2014/en...olidWorks.Interop.sldworks.IEdge_members.html

More complete Face API

Ref: https://help.solidworks.com/2014/en...lidWorks.Interop.sldworks.IFace2_members.html

Currently you have to write this functionality yourself.

A custom feature API is also missing. The Fillet feature can be parameterized to simulate a full round fillet, but this is a manual approach.