What's new

Move - Setting relative basepoint

PaulProe

I am trying to use the Move tool to move sketches a defined amount. I understand the Cartesian and U & V functions but am being thrown a loop for the basepoint.

Using the relative feature, it says it will move 'XX' amount from the basepoint. But how do you set the basepoint? The help article says "the coordinates of the last specified point" but Alibre doesn't seem to recognize the points I select.

If I click on the 'From' and set that point, should not that be the base point for a relative move?

Can someone help me figure this out. I guess I can't see the forest for all the trees in the way

Thanks

Paul

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I think the Move tool is one of the most confusing tools Alibre has, especially when using the Direct Coordinate Entry mode. So I stay away from that mode.
If I need to move a sketch I just make sure it is constrained/dimensioned within the sketch so it moves as a single entity (I select a node and drag it to see how it moves) then I just drag it or dimension it to get it to where I want it.

Someone should create a How To video about its use. Hey @Joseph_L can you fit this in to your workload?

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
If I click on the 'From' and set that point, should not that be the base point for a relative move?
After you set the From point, click To and change the U,V.

Picture U,V as X,Y in this example:
1713916800215.png
Relative:
1713916861685.png
From is the basepoint to move the figure from.

The confusing part is that the U,V should be zeroed out before clicking To or From and applying multiple times. And clicking Apply flips between the From Point and To Point.

I agree, the feedback could be more clear.

Last edited:

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
With relative selected (and U,V set to 0), after clicking From (setting From Point), click To and change the U or V or pick a point.

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
But how do you set the basepoint?
Click From Point and then pick a point to set the basepoint with the figures selected.

A feature of the Move Tool is that the To and From points can be applied to other figures, by selecting more figures with From and To set:
1713919551546.png

The From and To points can to updated live until Apply is clicked.

Last edited:

languer

That book looked very familiar (specially the section about moving sketches - like "I've seen and read this before) .... because I have it in PDF format. But I could not recall where I got it from. Turns out a link to it was included in the purchase email (along with the user code, a link to resources, and a link to training videos). Just saying ... maybe the OP has access to it and did not realize it.

PaulProe

Stephen, Stu and all,
No matter what I try, my Alibre version (Current, Pro) has a mind of its own when it comes to the basepoint for precise moving. No matter what I try, it comes up with some number to move the features and changing the U,V settings has no effect.

when I first posted this, I first referred to the book provided by Alibre with my maintenance extension (Stephen, talk to them, I am certain they'll give you a download for it). I tried following Stephen's images, without success. I referred to his links on the help site (The same as what Alibre offers) and it is obvious when the editor was finalizing the document, they edited out some information and posted some incorrect information. Following the sequence, for Cartesian, they tell you to select Cartesian and then enter a radius and angle. Sorry, but Cartesian is looking for an X & Y (U & V) to develop the move. They clearly cut and pasted the information from the next line that refers to Polar positioning. And nowhere do they tell you how to reset the basepoint other than it is associated with the last entry.

And when you click apply, it moves your figures some amount it gathers somewhere deep within its code. No matter what I try, I haven't been able to figure out where it is getting the basepoint. If I could figure it out, I could develop a workaround.

I am going to submit a ticket to the guys in the backroom. Clearly, something isn't right here.

Paul

PaulProe

I just received confirmation that I am not nuts ;) at least as far as Alibre is concerned.,

Quoting from a reply to the trouble ticket I submitted:

If you choose the 'relative' option, the movement should be relative to your chosen base point.

However, I've just done a few experiments - it seems instead to pick up the last cursor position when drawing the sketch figure, or even stranger things if the sketch has been closed and re-opened.

I'll pass this on to Development to be addressed

Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

BTW - I've adjusted the wording in Help, though I think one of the pictures also need to be changed which I'll need to look into...

David, thanks for your help. At least we now know there is an issue with the feature.

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
I just received confirmation that I am not nuts ;) at least as far as Alibre is concerned.,

Quoting from a reply to the trouble ticket I submitted:

David, thanks for your help. At least we now know there is an issue with the feature.
I'm curious to hear the answer from help, because It appears to work as I understand it. The last point will always get overriden with the To & From buttons. The Relative To" field on the Direct Entry dialog needs to be zeroed out in order for the relative (U,V) to be actually relative to your "To and From" points:
1714067404583.png

So, if you want the basepoint to be at the center of a circle, the To and From point should be the same. Then you Apply with U,V set to zero. Now the U,V will be relative the your To and From points. The Direct Entry Apply button is additive. The Relative U,V should be 0,0, to move relative to your basepoint.

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
I ran many tests and I think the missing piece is clicking Direct Entry Apply button, then switching to Relative. The To and From Points should be the same for it to behave as a basepoint for the selected figures:
1714072356141.png
I'm not saying it's perfect, the UI feedback and documentation need fixing.

PaulProe

Stephen,
If you click on the "expand" on the quote in my post, it will show you the entire message from support.

Using your suggestion, I was able to get a sketch to move an exact amount, but the next time I tried it, it then acted up. Don't know if it is Alibre or my install. David implied there are issues inside the program that is screwing up the results.

Paul

Last edited:

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
Stephen,
If you click on the "expand" on the quote in my post, it will show you the entire message from support.

Using your suggestion, I was able to get a sketch to move an exact amount, but the next time I tried it, it then acted up. Don't know if it is Alibre or my install. David implied there are issues inside the program that is screwing up the results.

Paul
The UI needs work. I may be used to it.