What's new

Stacked section slices?

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Do you mean in a model or in a drawing?
In a drawing you can create a series of section views that are offset from each other. The views can then be arranged in line on the drawing.
In a model you can create Precise Section views but only one is viewable at a time.

Toybuilder

Right, in the drawing -- is there a way to snap them into alignment somehow?

For example, I have three removed sections from device showing the enclosure and the PCB. I can eyeball and roughly align the sections to be at the same X origin -- but I don't think there's a way to precisely do this? You can see a small "pinhole" I deliberately introduced into the upper-right corner of the enclosure which I placed to better align the sections when I later export them for doing the circuit board layout. I can align each section individually in the layout software, but it would be nice if there was a way to do something similar in Alibre.

1714364700150.png

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Section views will only align with the parent view, you cannot snap align them to each other. I think that question has come up before and suggest that you submit an enhancement request to Support if it something that you need.

Note: IF you pull the views out along the section line then you cannot align them to each other, however, if you pull them out perpendicular to the section line (like a regular section view) then you can align them but they will be labeled as SECTION A-A, etc. and you'll need to remove/delete the labels if you don't want them.

Maybe this image will help.

removed section views.jpg

Last edited:

Toybuilder

I can work around not having it, but it seems like a mighty useful feature to be able to snap section views to each other, either projecting reference points between sections or to colocate them to overlay section slices for visualization/dimensioning purposes.

I use TurboCAD along with Alibre, so I can do a lot of the aligning kind of work in TC much more easily. But TC is dreadful when it comes to managing the models and turning parts on/off, especially when the model gets very complicated. I generally prefer to work in Alibre for that reason - I just wish some of the niceties from more drafting/drawing-oriented CAD packages were also available in Alibre!

Toybuilder

BTW, having said that, from what I understand, Alibre is far better than most MCAD packages when it comes to preparing drawings. I haven't played with some of the others, so it's just hearsay though!