What's new

Recent content by bscott.arc-tech.com

1. B

/3GB switch gives driver issue.

I prefer Ben. Hello, Ralf. :) That is about physical address space, also called hardware address space. It has nothing to do with the /3GB switch. It has nothing to do with the virtual address space, which is the memory space the microprocessor presents to each running program. 32-bit...
  2. B

For the 32-bit versions, both Vista and XP behave nearly identical when it comes to memory management. Both have the 2/2 or 3/1 user/kernel memory split. Neither use PAE to increase physical address space. Both can loose physical address space (RAM) to other hardware. None of these limits...
  3. B

I am having trouble understanding you, but I believe you are mistaken. On the modern Intel i386 architecture, each running task has its own virtual address space. That address space is 4 GB. It is never more, never less. Windows divides each the virtual address space for each task into a...
  4. B

Alibre Design will not use more than 2 GB of RAM. (It's based on the MS-JVM, which does not support "large memory".) So the /3GB switch doesn't help Alibre, and may cost you performance for other reasons. (Giving 1 GiB more to user programs means the system has 1 GiB less for things like...
  5. B

Is v11 going to be hamstrung by J#?

Greetings all, I know that Alibre Design v10 and earlier are written with Microsoft's almost-Java platform, "J++". J++ programs like Alibre require the Microsoft Virtual Machine (MS-VM) to run. Development of the MS-VM stopped a long time ago, and it isn't supported at all anymore. That has...
  6. B

Problem Opening Download w/VISTA

Yah, Microsoft said that if the world wouldn't play the Java game their way, they would take their ball and go home. If you were a Microsoft customer using Microsoft's Java... well, too bad for you. Unfortunately, Alibre Inc was one such Microsoft customer. Alibre is written for MS-Java, not...
  7. B

Printing problem

Re: I've seen a different problem (outside Alibre) that had some similar behavior. Try uninstalling and then reinstalling your printer driver software. That's what fixed it here.
  8. B

Alibre Buyer Beware

Re: Disapointment with verbal agreement Demonstratively false. Linux, Firefox, OpenOffice, etc. Of particular note is PDFCreator (Free Software) which Alibre themselves distribute and use with Alibre Design. So I guess somebody should tell Alibre the days of that...
  9. B

Alibre Buyer Beware

Re: "Network License"???? That's what we use, here. We have four "network" license seats. They are "shared" between users -- I call them "floating licenses". We've got Alibre installed on ten different PCs, and up to four people can be using the software at one time...
  10. B

Upper Memory Limit

Re: Upper Memory Limit Alibre up through Version 10 is an MS Java program. The MS JVM is 32-bit only. As such, it is limited to 2 GB of process memory. (There's a way to use 3 GB per process under Win32, but it has drawbacks, requires a system boot...
  11. B

MS Java will self-destruct in 5... 4...

Re: Sorry for the late replies... Unfortunately, it is not that easy to fix the wetware in a larger company (we've got 120+ employees). I'm not so worried about Alibre as I am about the MS-JVM in general. To the best of my knowledge...
  12. B

Re: That would make me feel better, except that when we bought into Alibre back in 2005/2006, that was the same answer our sales rep gave us: That the dependence on the MSVM would be going away Real Soon Now. It's about two years...
  13. B

MS Java will self-destruct in 5... 4... All support for Microsoft's Java VM ends 31 Dec 2007. That's a couple weeks away. Once support ends, security fixes to Microsoft's Java VM will no longer be provided. As Microsoft is a popular target, it seems likely that this will...
  14. B

Graphics Card

Re: Well, that's certainly true -- *if* it really won't be used. If someone only uses Alibre, sure. But here where I work, we use Alibre, MasterCAM, AutoCAD, and ProgeCAD, and the list is only going to get longer. So we certainly have...
  15. B

Graphics Card

Re: Only thing I can find is this artcile: https://www.alibre.com/KnowledgeBase/Co ... ticleID=60 It lists two NVidia cards under "Reported Problems". One is a Quadro card, one is a GeForce card. It also lists quite a few NVidia...