What's new

Recent content by crchisholm

1. C

Alibra P/E Computer in need of overhaul

Thank you for the response. I am going to try and map this out before I change anything. I actually have several products that could potentially give he a headache on reinstall.
  2. C

Alibra P/E Computer in need of overhaul

Hi, I have been using Alibre Personal Edition 2013 for some time now and I love it. I use it to designing parts that will be printed on a 3d printer for some of my hobby projects. I am running it on Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1. I am at a point where I need to reformat or replace...
  3. C

Constraining a spring to a stud??

Hmmmm I missed your post about the top and bottom cuts. That might just help a lot. That would give me a plain perpendicular to the spring and try to add my center axis from there. Not at the work machine now but will play with that in the AM. Thanks
  4. C

Well, I am clearly not getting it. I just figured out how to make a spring yesterday, and now I find that I am not clear on what you are suggesting. Sorry to be a block head. I've attached the spring only to show what I've done so far. Not sure how to get where you are suggesting.
  5. C

I must be doing something wrong. I don't seem to be able to add a reference axis to the sping. There seems to be two ways I can select the spring: The face and the edge. If I select the spring face, then it will not allow me to add it to the Insert Reference Axis dialog. If I select the...
  6. C

Is there any way in an assembly to constrain a spring to a center stud...or any other object for that matter. I have created a demo for a project I have been working that includes a rolling trolley with a spring loaded platform on top. I would like to be able to demo the motion of the trolley...
  7. C

slic3r will drive me to think

Well Crap. I hate admitting it when I am being stupid. The problem was that somehow the units in the STL setup got changed from millimeters to meters. I don't think my printer is big enough for that ;>. Thanks to anyone that read this and thought about it. I guess I got drove to think...
  8. C

Tyler, I am attaching a screen shot of the block I am testing with and the STL file that is representative of what is happening. It is a very simple 90 x 5 x 42 mm block. I have tried it in Slic3r 0.9.8 on Windows 7 and 0.9.9 on Windows XP. There are no relevant entries in the system logs...
  9. C

I am trying to use slic3r with STL files produced from Alibre. I have had very mixed results. (mostly bad lately). Can someone tell me what Alibre STL output settings work best for creating STL files from Alibre and then sending them through Slic3r? Charlie
  10. C

scaling a part

Ahhhh.... I think I saw that, but forgot. Thank you very much. BTW, since you seem to be pretty knowledgeable regarding alibre, do you know if there is a plug in or other product that will do an import of STL files into Alebre for editing. I think I saw that there are problems with doing...
  11. C

scaling a part

Is there a way to scale a part by percentage or by some other measure? If I obtain a part from another source and that part is proportioned correctly, but I need the whole thing to be 185% of it's current size, Is that possible in Alibre? Sorry if this is a dumb question....still mid...
  12. C

How can I determine why a sketch won't extrude

I will check the sketch analyzer in help. I tried to use it and it seem to no indicate a problem, but I really didn't know what I was doing. This time I managed NOT to use the cut extrude, but as to overlapping lines, I guess I might have some, but I thought I checked (is there a theme...
  13. C

How can I determine why a sketch won't extrude

I am creating a new part and it starts with a very irregular shape. When I tried to extrude it, I get the extrude boss status box, does not give me any indication of what the problem might be, but won't extrude. The explorer shows the extrusion entry in red with an X. I have gone over the...
  14. C

Trying to learn Alibre

Just to clarify my statement above regarding the order of things....I am, at this point, a toddler when it comes to this application. I find that most steps I need to learn consist of a number of smaller sub-steps. Because I am still learning my ABC's and have not yet learned to put them...
  15. C

Alibra PE rotating a part

Yep...got it. Thank you very much. This is really quite a lot of fun to learn Frustrating at times...but kind of a good frustrating. Thank You Charlie