What's new

Recent content by ideazonepd

1. I

Units problem in STP export

Units problem in STP export I wonder if anyone else has had this problem. Where can I set the default units that are used for the STP export (non-Alibre file)? Everytime I do a STP export, the units default to cm, even if I have been designing in inches and...
  2. I

Does Alibre employ more than 125 people?

PTC is headquartered in Massachusetts. Why would they be setting up a 125-person product development center in Pennsylvania? Doesn't that sound like over-kill? At any rate, it smacks of the inefficiencies of a large corporation.
  3. I

Rapid Prototyping who?

I've dealt with RPDG in Portland, Oregon. They are looking to get Alibre Express (I think I'm the first one who they've dealt with). Whichever Rapid Prototype firm you go with, you should use the opportunity to spread the word about Alibre. Definitely tell them about Alibre Express. They...
  4. I

V9 ... NO configurations for Alibre Design users ??

I don't understand what all of this complaining is about. When your maintainance policy said that you would receive all upgrades, it meant that you would receive all upgrades for the standard Alibre Design. What did you think, that you could buy the Standard package, pay your little...
  5. I

2D Fillet error report.

Ton, Try selecting the lines that you want to fillet and then changing the radius value. That should activate the Apply button (assuming the value is allowable). I agree that the software should let you choose either the lines or set the radius first. But having the Apply button stay...
  6. I

Units Problem in STEP export

Units Problem in STEP export Has anyone come across a units problem when exporting files in the STEP format? I just recently was corresponding with a Rapid Prototype vendor, and he said that the STEP model that I sent was much larger than the original .stl file...
  7. I

Create a repository from a snapshot

I haven't dealt with the repository much yet, so I might be way off. But would it be possible to make a copy of the existing repository, and then restore the snapshot over the existing one? That way you'll have the copied repository (most recent) and the exisiting repository (from the snapshot...
  8. I

Questions for Plastic Manufacturers

This might be a lot of stuff that you already know, but here is a link to the British Plastics Federation website (I'm sure their plastics are about the same as ours :D ). http://www.bpf.co.uk/bpfindustry/process_plastics.cfm Each of the processes has its own page of explanantion, and...
  9. I

Sharp corners in guide curve

The solution to your problem is to create two separate loft features. Then you can control the tangency (or lack of tangency, in your case) at the plane where you want the discontinuity. Granted, it is not as simple of a solution. But at the same time, it is not extremely complex. To sum...
  10. I

CONE SHAPES

This may be over-simplifying things, but aren't you just looking for a simple Revolve Boss feature with the cross-section that you want? Maybe I'm not completely understanding the question.
  11. I

Space Pilot motion jerky

I have the Space Traveller, and I had similar problems. It would start as soon as I added the fourth or fifth component to the assembly. I found that it was the center of rotation setting. I think that I had it set on Center of Volume, and when I switched it to Center of Mass the problem went...
  12. I

Gear Teeth - Angles/Offset

There was a thread that discussed helical gear creation (not exactly the same as your issue, but I bet it's close). http://www.alibre.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1694 Or, if your "extrusion" just needs to be at an angle (ie. no contour to it) then you could just try setting up a plane at the...
  13. I

What's the little red check mark in the Rep?

The repository automatically lists the parts as "checked out" as soon as you open them. That's why a part without a check mark at first will have one after you open it.
  14. I

Spaceball 3003

This is a bit of a long-shot, but I found a reference to the driver revision that will work with the 3003. Then I went to the 3DConnexion website and found the link to the current driver. Then I replaced the revision spec with the old rev numbers for the 3003. It did give me a file to...
  15. I

Sketching Philosophy Question

It is true that the 2D sketcher in Alibre does not visually (read: color-coded) show the remaining Degrees of Freedom and the figures they correspond to. But it does show the number of DOF remaining as a number in the lower right corner. The Auto Dimension tool is also very useful. Sometimes...