What's new

Recent content by jhatfield

1. J

How can I make this? (sheet metal ribs around a bend)

HaroldL Yes, you've nailed it. And, again, it was interesting and instructive to see how you accomplished the stiffeners. My solution came and seems to work fairly consistently by using flanges for the stiffeners. Next I edited the flanges' sketch and cut off the edges by 1/2 the bend...
  2. J

How can I make this? (sheet metal ribs around a bend)

HaroldL We all learn by seeing how someone approaches something that isn't directly supported by Alibre and such was the case looking at the way you did the gusset. There is another issue which I run into now and then and always struggle with and would like to know how you would handle...
  3. J

What should Alibre focus on?

Commenting on V10 prior to actually using it based on a bulleted list of feature additions may not be fair to Alibre however I'm unable to read this thread and not add my $.02 that there will have been some attention paid to the UI. There are 2 things I'm hoping to see. The first is some...
  4. J

jpeg resolution

I use the Zan Image Printer. Share ware and can be found at: http://www.zan1011.com/ It will install as a printer driver. To use it, once set up, just print to their printer and your much higher resolution jpeg will be saved at a location of your choosing. (I am do not work for nor...
  5. J

Catalog Features - filepath

Yes. Good summary posting. I didn't get notified of the posting or this response would have come sooner. I recognize the usefulness of having more than one fixed path. I think my original posting stated as much. But the issues that arise from everything floating cause me so much grief...
  6. J

You understood me correctly. There would only be 1 default path. However, your suggestion works for me if, after setting a default path in Preferences, every file access dialog box is set to the default path on entry. Checking the path lock check box in any dialog box would then opt...
  7. J

What if you had a button on all file access dialog boxes which when pressed sets or defines the path in that dialog box to be the "default path" Then add a check box all file access dialog boxes which if checked will force the path in that dialog box to be the default path. In use, when...
  8. J

This thread struck a chord with me. Am I the only one who is annoyed by the fact that there are so many paths wtihin Alibre. I can see the advantage in them being separate, but the way I work, there would be a definite advantage to having all the paths within Alibre be tied together, i.e. they...
  9. J

Overlapping Center Lines

Well duh. I thought I had those boxes unchecked and somehow it wasn't being applied to isometric views where this effect is most pronounced, or at least on the sort of things I do. I had those boxes unchecked at one time. Don't know what happened to change that. Thanks for reply. It took...
  10. J

Overlapping Center Lines

Overlapping Center Lines I may be missing something simple, but does anyone else get irritated by the multiple, overlapping centerlines that occur where there are multiple circular elements along an axis. I know they can be turned off when a view is created...
  11. J

export raster file resolution

Print resolution is fine. That's why the shareware packages that act like a printer or which t output graphics images, pdf, tiff, bmp, etc. do so well is the output goes out through the printing code of Alibre software and produces a higher resolution result than the export to graphics feature...
  12. J

export raster file resolution

Check out the Zan Image Printer at http://www.zan1011.com/. This will allow you to print to TIFF, JPEG, or BMP like you can print to PDF. It's been awhile since I've used it, but for awhile I used it with a great deal of regularity. Granted, requesting an enhancement for a higher resoution...
  13. J

SHEET METAL

Thanks, Volker, I spent a lot of hours I couldn't justifiably bill my client for trying things myself before I gave up. Perhaps dealing with those holes is something that should be added to suggested enhancements. I just talked with a friend who uses SW. He fiddled with the issue while on...
  14. J

SHEET METAL

The box Volker posted in the binaries section has a problem I recently had to deal with. The holes at the bottom of the box formed when two adjacent flanges meet. The new close corner tool does a nice job closing the sides, but still leaves holes at the bottom. Is there a way to close them in...
  15. J

Viewers for alibre

Gavin, I was attracted to your post because of the problems you had exporting a jpeg. The solutions offered using xpress by others is good, but if you simply want to send a drawing and especially if you don't want it edited, you might think of sending a pdf. There are several software...