What's new

Recent content by Jim C

1. J

v21 Preview

OK, you have convinced me and I renewed my maintenance today! Now, how about a universal "hide Reference Geometry". When aligning parts in an assembly I sometimes forget if I selected a sub-assembly or a part in the sub-assembly and have to hunt around to hide the reference geometry. Maybe...
  2. J

A little preview

Hello Max, keep the goodies coming. There is no question that there will be some changes in some items but I have over 55 years of design experience in several fields and there have been some that went smoothly and some that needed a few "tweeks". In any case, give them a try and see how they...
  3. J

OT - Let's Talk Tolerances

In general I have found the tighter the tolerance the greater the cost (or time if I'm doing the work). There are many times when a tolerance of +/- 0.01 or more is plenty good enough. But then something like 0.0005 is needed for things to work properly. Make as loose as possible without making...
  4. J

HP Stream 14 for Alibre 2019 ??!!

No, I’m not kidding, the HP 14” Stream works quite well with Alibre 2019. Ok, it’s not the fastest but definitely a usable computer to take to the coffee shop, throw it in the truck or car or covered wagon. Nice part it is not so expensive that if something happens it is not a disaster. The...
  5. J

At what point does one make a design an assembly?

From my point of view apart is a single item which stands (or lies down) on its own. An assembly is the combination of two or more parts. Of course then there are sub assemblies that are integrated together to make a larger sub assembly or the end product. I design and fabricate most of the...
  6. J

Threads not exported with STL file

Having a "reasonable" thread does have its use at times. A part with a thread will have different physical parameters than one without a thread. How much difference will depend on the percent and type of thread as compared to the overall part. It does have a considerable impact at times. Jim C
  7. J

Home Screen - Recent File Display

To the programmers, my humblest apologies. And to suggestions, +++! Thanks.
  8. J

Definitely the right way to go but could the choice be added to the Systems Options/Display or something similar? That way the option is a bit less accessible but still not that hard to change. But as a friend would always comment when a change was required "just pencil in a few lines of code...
  9. J

First of all I definitely like 2018 (year and program), keep up the great work (defeatable bugs and all). I have a problem with the recent file display, a very useful feature when working on a design but a real problem when discussing a design with a third party. There may be files that relate...
  10. J

Unable to rotate a 2D sketch!?!

The problem of moving or rotating a sketch can be eliminated by using the direct coordinate entry option when placing a starting or ending point at the origin. A simple thing to do is to place a node at 0,0 using the coordinate entry option and then turning that node into a point. Drawing...
  11. J

NEW ALIBRE INSTALL - REPEATED REBOOT REQUESTS

I had the same problem when installing the Alibre Design and received excellent help from support. Several methods were tried and the final solution suggested by Christina was to uninstall any version of Alibre Design, Geomagic Design and licensing programs Flex..(sorry can’t recall the exact...
  12. J

How to construct the arrow

Yes, there is a difference between the real world and the computer world and the real world seems to win every time! Thanks Harold, I didn't think of a zip file, especially for such a small amount of data. I'll try to remember that. Jim C
  13. J

Mareike, I completely agree with you, I was around when the teradactiles were flying and I do know how to roll my pencil even as an engineer. Also data taken from a pdf print is not that accurate either. The digitized data was included because it is easy to automatically import into a sketch...
  14. J

Mareike, Here is a file that gives the arrow as digitized from the pdf drawing. I was digitizing another part and thought the arrow would be simple and fun to do. I had attempted to draw a sketch from scratch using plain old drafting lines and circles and found that the dimensions that were...
  15. J

Looking for

A search for Lichtmeter G Al Si. Mg. Vv. led to a pdf data sheet from Raffmetal which is attached. Jim C