What's new

Recent content by Joe Gwinn

1. J

Anyone running Alibre on a VM thru Linux?

I run Alibre under Parallels on the Mac, and this works perfectly so far. One does need to provide enough physical memory to handle the fact that two full-figured operating systems are present. One also needs a standard three-button with scroll wheel mouse. I think that Parallels supports...
  2. J

Poll - Screen Resolution / DPI

2148 by 1350, 100% Win10.
  3. J

Mac book running windows in a VM

I too am running Alibre Expert on a iMac under MacOS 10.15.7 (Catalina) using Parallels Pro 16.1.1. So far, it has worked perfectly. Two things were needed for this to be workable. First, a real 3-button mouse is needed. The Apple mice do not work. I use a LogitechM-UAE96 (three buttons...
  4. J

Tracing images

It may be useful to use Photoshop as an intermediate step: "Turn Photos into Line Drawings with a Difference", Adobe. https://creativecloud.adobe.com/discover/article/turn-photos-into-line-drawings-with-a-difference
  5. J

Interesting article of Alibre

Interesting. One item struck me: The Constraint Engine from Siemens is 2D. How can a 2D Constraint Engine work in Alibre, which is 3D?
  6. J

[Fixed] - [V21] Smallest design tree size is way too big

Why does Alibre even have undefined small, medium, large font sizes? It's cleaner to specify font height in printers' points, as most word processors do.
  7. J

Full version install

When I upgraded from Atom3D to Design, I had to completely uninstall Atom3D and then clean install Design, or I kept getting an odd mixture of the two.
  8. J

I am stuck

The lightly shaded entry box is not nearly as obvious as one might hope. I eventually figured it out, but it would have been far more efficient is the tutorial had been explicit about this - It would have cost one sentence.
  9. J

I am stuck

It's exactly this kind of necessary detail that is absent from much of the training materials.
  10. J

Sketch Tools

I've been through this learning Alibre. The training materials are very confusing for new users precisely because they talk about things that are not there. Saying that the trial has the full features of the product, Atom3D in this case, is true but irrelevant. The training materials also...
  11. J

What causes this herringbone / woodgrain effect

In the original image, those are Moire Fringes. This implies that there are two very similar halftone dot patterns overlaid, and those patterns are beating. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moir%C3%A9_pattern
  12. J

ScribD Website

I'm not sure it works that way in the case of Scribd. And I'm not so sure that they want to get themselves in 10,000 actions at once. I'd try the letter.
  13. J

ScribD Website

A lawyer letter may be more effective.
  14. J

License Surpise

After the noise dies down, GM might wish to consider making license checking a whole lot more fault tolerant.