What's new

Recent content by moyesboy

1. M

STL file dimensions

.STL files usually dont have a dimension type associated with them. The package you import them into will allocate inches or mm (or elephants) and you must find how to specify which you want at the import stage.
  2. M

Alibre low cost version

Hello. For a while I was very active here, until my employer became part of a larger organisation and solidworks is used throughout the group. I saw that Alibre gained its independence again reading Ralph Grabowski's "upfront" The way to make a low cost version available to hobbyists and have...
  3. M

Info about FEM designer?

I got the following response from them, so they do at least exist... I'm wondering how many users of the add-in there are and what they think of it? Am I right in thinking that Geomagic are offering a different FEA package integrated with Geomagic now?
  4. M

Info about FEM designer?

Hello. Its been a long time since I logged in here! Reason being there was a corporate decision wen we were bought out meaning we had to use solidworks. Anyway... I was looking at FEM designer on "tint hair net", but its left me wondering: Does FEM designer exist at the moment as a stand alone...
  5. M

Export an assembly from Alibre to Solidworks

So this still wasn't sorted then... If you take the step assembly that alibre produced you will find it opens correctly in inventor, prodesktop, proengineer, idastep (a few viewer), and it seems solidedge. But solidworks will misplace the parts. It will not place them all at the origin, just...
  6. M

Version 10 and general rant

It is vey difficult to assess this sort of issue before you really start to hammer a cad system with daily use. But once you are into daily use then you are comitted, and changing to another system involves a lot of pain and downtime before you are up to the speed you were before (even if that...
  7. M

The Alibre 500

Well its been a while since I was here. What happened to Gaspar? Does he still lurk here? In response to his questions from Aug 2006 My trip went well, I became UK champion inhang gliding for the 7th time. ..though in the competiton I was beaten by a French, and a Colombian. Now is 2007...
  8. M

downgrading from pro to xpress

You have to get Alibre to reset the site key for your machine. I already had to do this on a machine I used for a demo. The problem occurs when the licence you want to downgrade from is still valid (ie in use elsewhere). If the licence expires for the superior version then there should be no...
  9. M

Plastic mouldings and static

Plastic mouldings and static hi guys I'm on the lookout for info on plastic moulding materials- (thats molding if you are in the USA). I need to use a nylon material for my moulding and I need it to dissipate static charge build up (it is supporting a ceramic...
  10. M

Current issues - considering a change to SolidWorks.

jw - they know all my criticisms for some time before this post!
  11. M

Depends if alibre lets the sever know that it opened the file or if the server system itself is keeping track. I think you wil find that alibre will overwrite the file that someone else has open unless you are using the repository system. Regarding the step export You'll find it was my post...
  12. M

Sheet metal is mickey mouse - agreed. I don't think they promise much on it for v10 either. No rip from solid to sheetmetal. No development of things such as maniifolds, chimneys - it is only a crease from flat system. this is only part of what sheet metal is in the real world. Many std...
  13. M

help with a file translation?

help with a file translation? I have a dumb step file that opens fine in alibre v9. I need to get this file into a 3D dxf, or a .CAD format (whatever .CAD is!?). Maybe someone here can help translate it into a 3D DXF? Thanks in anticipation!
  14. M

Non historical base modeling....

Ironcad offers this mix of direct editing of features and parametrics. Its an interesting system. They also sell it in the UK for the direct equivalent of the dollar price. that is in the US it costs similar to solidworks, in the UK it costs half what the UK resellers want for solidworks...
  15. M

wrong dimensions in drawing file ?

While the drawing is open it does not reflect changes to the part. The drawing must be closed and opened again to reflect the changes. Beware when closing the drawing it can overwrote the part file with the previous version displayed in the drawing. Are you sure you did not open the part...