What's new

Recent content by pkelecy

1. P

Easiest to use solid modeler/3D CAD?

moyesboy - thanks so much for your very detailed reply (and sorry for the delay in responding! - things at work have been busy). It definitely clarified a lot for me, and I must say the more I learn about these CAD packages, the more impressed I am with what they do. To keep track of part...
  2. P

Re: I think most CAD packages now offer the option of saving in a .dwg or .dxf format. So unless something is lost when saving in a non-native format, I assume that means there are quite a few packages that could be used. I tried...
  3. P

Thanks for the further explanations and feedback. I think I understand now the differences between the various types of drawing products and their intent. One other question though. I have noticed that the 2D drawing capabilities in Alibre seem a little weak (hence the recommendations for a...
  4. P

Thanks for the explanations and links. I'm obviously new to all of this, but am starting to understand the differences between these products (as well as why there seems to be so many on the market). I work in the area of motor design (engineering), but my main application for this...
  5. P

Thanks for all the replies. Although there is always some trade-off between power and ease of use, my main interest was in the ease of use side of things. Solidworks is the name I hear the most in that regard, but given how many SW users there are I guess that's not surprising. How do...
  6. P

Easiest to use solid modeler/3D CAD? I'm new to solid modeling and am looking for an easy to use solid modeler for 3D CAD. I recently started using Alibre Design (Xpress version just to try it), and am impressed with it. It seems pretty easy to use and very capable...
  7. P

Alibre Design Express tutorials - not quite current?

Thanks Jim for the quick reply. You response is what I thought. It's really a minor issue though, and for the most part there have been relatively few discrepancies. All in all, I'm very impress with the package! Thanks again. Pat
  8. P

Generating a drawing from design data?

Generating a drawing from design data? Hello All, I'm new to Alibre Design and relatively new to 3D modeling in general (I've done some in the FEA program I use). I have a design model (Matlab based) that generates the dimensions for components in a device we're...
  9. P

Alibre Design Express tutorials - not quite current?

Alibre Design Express tutorials - not quite current? Hello All, I'm new to Alibre Design and have just started working through the tutorials. I've notice that some of the descriptions in the tutorials don't quite match what I'm seeing in the program. For example, in options/color...