What's new

Recent content by PPi

1. P

3dm import

There are paid software out there, but without shovelling money anywhere, you may want to take a look at FreeCAD. I have done a few conversions and it can work pretty well, but it can also fail miserably. The big challenge has been to get Alibre open step files exported from FreeCAD. Other...
  2. P

Material Library Wishlist

There are use cases. For example, I'm designing a machine that has parts from a supplier. The supplier gives us a 3D model for it, that may consist of several parts. To have weight for this 3D assembly correct, I don't want to go thru all the parts separately from the delivered 3D model to set...
  3. P

Alibre Crashing a lot since last update.

Wow, that's clever. I have always struggled with hole patterns getting Alibre on its knees.
  4. P

Updating DXFs

Haha, you really think I'm not saving my files? Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I will give you an example: Make any kind of part - extrude block or whatever Make a new feature on it, e.g. put a hole Go back to 1st step and fiddle with original dimensions Forget to click "Generate to last feature"...
  5. P

Updating DXFs

Yeah. I miss scripting in a 2D drawing. This maybe could resolve automated DXF/DWG exporting. I hate when I have to keep up a manual list of which drawing has been updated and needs to be exported again for cutting. Preferably with revision info on the file name. Oh bonus thing: It would be...
  6. Screenshot-2019-09-06-10.00

Screenshot-2019-09-06-10.00

Different PDF export pipelines
  7. Build_57_hoop_directPDF_text_dissassembly

Build_57_hoop_directPDF_text_dissassembly

The text is still compiled from various shapes
  8. Build_57_hoop_directPDF_rendering

Build_57_hoop_directPDF_rendering

some characters appearing bolder as it happens when text is vectorized and it renders differently depending on zoom level
  9. Build_57_hoop_adobePDF

Build_57_hoop_adobePDF

Build 57, translated into PDF using Adobe PDF printed
  10. P

Sheet number

Bringing up an old topic, but I think we are still stuck on using "OF" as a separator? I'd like to have this changed finally so I could have this automated... Better yet, it would be great to have a way to assemble together drawings of different parts into one big file. This way it would be...
  11. P

Alibre 2019 update, printing to PDF (large file sizes & text not selectable)

Another note that I just want to document here. If you use "Publish to PDF", interestingly only vertical or horizontal dimension lines are vectors. Diagonal lines and arrowheads are both raster images, with very coarse but mostly adequate resolution. However, if I print the image to any PDF...
  12. 2d-arrows

2d-arrows

Diagonal dimension lines and arrowheads are raster images.
  13. P

Upcoming surprise :D

Please make this happen. With this and constraint limits, the constraint definitions would improve big time!
  14. P

Alibre 2019 update, printing to PDF (large file sizes & text not selectable)

There's something funky going on. First, I love the fact that also 2D side is getting updates. It just isn't there quite yet. First I thought I can finally extract proper vector images for instruction manuals etc from pdf, but in addition to not completely transparent backgrounds (you will get...
  15. Alibre_2019_2d_shading

Alibre_2019_2d_shading

Extra layers on shaded view