What's new

Recent content by v8dave

1. V

How to create output suitable to CNC mill

Thanks for the fast reply. I've just installed and tested it. I'll see if this works when I get the machine in a week or so.
  2. V

How to create output suitable to CNC mill

I've ordered one of those low cost Chinese milling machines to work on plastic enclosures. I want to use this to machine the cutouts for LCD's, sockets and buttons etc. Is there any way to export from Geomagic/Alibre Design and generate the G-CODE needed by the milling machine (running Mach3) ...
  3. V

Perspective view in drawing. Possible?

I have a 2D drawing and I want to show a 3D view that is drawn from a custom view orientation. See attached. The trouble is that in the assembly for this, I selected perspective to remove the distortion that orthographic view causes but this does not translate to the 2D drawing and it looks...
  4. V

Step file import error

Hi all, Thanks all for your time. Sorry I have been late to reply. Have been away from the office for a few days onsite. I did find alternatives that where close to the same size and had the same mounting holes so I was able to complete the mockup for the client. Hop, I have downloaded your...
  5. V

Step file import error

Hi all, I have a couple of simple small STEP files from the Hoffman website that won't load. The other step files I have managed to load without issues. These 2 load with FreeCAD but there is no export option. Would anyone with STEP experience care to have a look for me? Thanks. Dave...
  6. V

optimum hardware

HI Pat, Don't discount the AMD processors either. Good value for money. I have just built a new machine with the Athlon 3.3Ghz 6 core 1100T processor and I am well impressed with it. A render with my old Athlon 2.4Ghz single core would take 15 mins at normal settings. On this new machine with...
  7. V

I just saw this endorsement...

@Hop, Having your own electricity generation is a good idea with an electric car. With the rising cost of eletricity it will soon be more expensive to run than a petrol/diesel car. Dave...
  8. V

Alibre User "Shot Gallery"

This was a design I did for a local client. I sent them this image and they thought it was the real thing. The enclosure is an OKW supplied step model which I then modified with holes etc, as is the 2 switches from NKK and the handles from Hammond. The front panel, the LCD, antenna etc where...
  9. V

Off To A Rough Start With PE...

Hi Ray What graphics card are you using? A lot of crashes are indeed graphics related. There is the same sort of issues with Altium Designer which is heavily dependant on the graphics card and drivers you use. Dave...
  10. V

opening saved assembly....now what?

Thanks Ralf, but I have found that the likes of Firefox, Outlook email etc still run along nicely even if I have Keyshot running. I don't select the REAL TIME option in Keyshot unless I plan to leave the PC whilst it is rendering. For me, background rendering is fine and allows me to continue...
  11. V

I tried that after reading the rest of the postings but it was greyed out. I left it over lunch and after I came back it was active again. I am not sure if this was because Keyshot was still running and had finished by then but I will try it out tomorrow when I go for lunch again. :D Opening...
  12. V

I have this exact same issue today. I created the assembly and then saved it. I then exported the design to BIP format for Keyshot and then closed it to work on the Keyshot file. When I went back to Alibre to open the file it just sits there doing nothing. I can move it around with the 3D...
  13. V

Please help with constraints

Hi Brian Angling the arm should work if it can handle the load. It will no longer be axial at that point so worth doing something with the analysis software ALGOR Designcheck if you have this part of Alibre? I ended up having to do the save on a panhard rod on my old modified car I used to...
  14. V

Oh by the way, I noticed that there is a lot of binding of the top rod ends on the inner face of the bell crank. If this is a real design, you will need to consider using spacers on the rod ends and opening up the gap in the bell crank to suit. Otherise, this is a prety neat peice of work with...
  15. V

Hi Brian, I am looking at this now and I often get this if the hole is not exactly 90 deg to the face. From what I can see, there is an angular error and if you align the hole in the crank to the rod end and then use the measure tool so as to measure the angle between the face of the crank and...