What's new

Recent content by VoxelClouds

1. VoxelClouds

Poll - Screen Resolution / DPI

Desktop: (Dual Monitor) - [Main] 3440x1440 @ 100% - 21:9 Aspect Ratio // [Secondary] 1920x1080 @ 100% - 16:9 Aspect Ratio. Laptop: 2560x1440 @ 125% - 16:9 Aspect Ratio.
  2. VoxelClouds

Studio Grade Headphones on the cheap - A DIY 3D Printable Project.

A £8 Chinese special headphone amp board loaded with Texas Instrument's current feedback TPA6120A2 amplifier chip arrived today. This thing absolutely spanks it out, as clear as the xDuoo XD-05 headphone amp I have; However it handles that low sub bass even better. ..Also, yes ..you can really...
  3. VoxelClouds

Thanks. I've got some further tuning refinements in mind for specific drivers (which are not likely to involve changes to the baffle model), will add the details and results of those as and when I get back on this :) Possibly a few weeks off with that at this point.
  4. VoxelClouds

** PART 7 ** Testing Methodology: Equipment Used: * MOTU - 96KHz Ultralite mk2 Firewire soundcard - (affordable used, and seriously robust) * Behringer - ECM8000 calibration microphone - (been around forever, cheap, and work well) * xDuoo - XD-05 Headphone Amp - (Optimal for testing all...
  5. VoxelClouds

** PART 6 ** Bonus content - round 2: All Drivers Comparison: Not the easiest to read, but here it is. Whoops forgot to change that dB SPL scale: (-90)20 dB/30/40/50/60/70/80/90/100/110(0) Now all drivers compared at respective output levels side by side: Typical normal 'loud'...
  6. VoxelClouds

** PART 5 ** Sony MDR-V150 - (for comparison): Not very good headphones frankly, posting them as a yardstick of what £15 gets you elsewhere. They sound muddy, have poor power handling and are rather uncomfortable. And frankly the 30mm driver they contain is barely fit for the dollar store...
  7. VoxelClouds

** PART 4 ** Mystery Coated Cone 40mm Drivers - (not very good): Tried these weird looking things for a laugh, on closer inspection on receiving them it looked like someone had taken a 40mm fostex like driver (cost about the same) and sprayed the cone with stone finish plasticote paint. The...
  8. VoxelClouds

** PART 3 ** Choosing and Testing Driver Candidates: After considerable searching, 3 models of drivers were selected and tested as worthy of consideration. The first two of these are often listed on aliexpress (and elsewhere) as being Fostex/Foster drivers, or alluding to as such. Whether...
  9. VoxelClouds

** PART 2 ** The Details - (the meaty stuff): Project Background and Design Considerations: This project started late last year when I became aware of high quality headphone drivers finding their way onto aliexpress (kind of a Chinese amazon for industrial parts) for sensible, and sometimes...
  10. VoxelClouds

This post is a spin off of a previous one which mainly concerned discussing some issues surrounding drawing the parts involved in this project. The purpose of this post is to separately (and properly) document the process of making some affordable DIY studio grade headphones using a mix of...
  11. VoxelClouds

Drawing a Headphone Upgrade Shell - Missing Features or Different Tool Chains ? (ex-solidworks user)

50mm version printed and tested, this combination handles sub bass a shade better & is a little more relaxed in the mid-range. back to other things soon :)
  12. VoxelClouds

Making 3D printable threads

Thought I would mention in passing that careful use of a tap and die set will put good quality, reliable threads into plastics. Also in some cases screws actually designed to bite into plastic can be stronger and more reliable as the screw kind of functions as its own Tap & the thread profile is...
  13. VoxelClouds

Drawing a Headphone Upgrade Shell - Missing Features or Different Tool Chains ? (ex-solidworks user)

Thanks, will do. I didn't realise that was still running.
  14. VoxelClouds

Thanks for the replies all, Will go thru those properly later.. Heres a quick update though, Driver shell from that file fitted perfectly on first try. If anyone decides to use the model as it stands, heres some notes: The fit to 40mm drivers is snug, so may want to increase the diameter there...
  15. VoxelClouds

Hi, Just checking in here for the first time, I've been tinkering on the side with Alibre Expert for a while now, Its my app of choice for personal projects away from professional environments that use Solidworks on site. So far it has served me well for doing basic geometries, however recently...