What's new

Recent content by WJP

1. W

progress

I am by no means a genius at 3D cadd drawing but I was able to draw this engraved medallion today and I'm a bit chuffed!
  2. W

fun and games

Harold: I GOT it :) I was able to insert the axis as you showed in the video, locating it at the same radial distance as I had created my half-hole sketch and so then revolving it worked! Many many thanks. I have a lot to learn but big steps today thanks to you. DavidJ I will try your method...
  3. W

fun and games

Even though I got the half-hole sketch to go black, when I closed the sketch it told me that the sketch was not closed. Oh well...as I can't revolve it without an axis anyway, we will never know :) All said, I continue to be amazed at how much I can do with this program. Oh!! I did find the...
  4. W

fun and games

Trying today to follow the second video; Chamfered Hole in Tapered Surface. Not sure how exactly you did it but I created a new sketch on the XY plane with the half profile of the hole with the 5° slope using the project to sketch thing (that's pretty useful!!) and the 41° slope and it finally...
  5. W

fun and games

Wow Harold...thanks. You spent considerable effort explaining that! I will watch it again several times. I can see that what I really need to learn is how to be able to draw/sketch in 3D mode and then revolve the shape....I didn't even know that was possible.....I have a long way to go. I am...
  6. W

fun and games

Novice here, although I've been designing in 2D for 40 years. I have the Alibre Atom and I am shocked at how much I can draw with the lowest level of the program. I hit the wall a week or so ago at having to put a countersunk hole in a (slightly) conical surface. The part is a 1 1/4" diameter...
  7. W

sketching on non-planar surfaces Atom 3D

Hi all....I got it!! Several reasons; I did the "create an new plane to sketch on" suggested by HaroldJ thanks. Then I drew the c'bore dia on the sketch plane and extruded it down into the surface. I had to keep editing it to get the depth of the c'bore (on the tapered surface) to the right...
  8. W

Hi HaroldL, thanks once again. Inexperienced as I am I will first look up "second hole feature", "project to sketch" etc in the help section to see how they work. It may be a while as I don't get to "play" with my 3D every day :)
  9. W

A screen shot for HaroldL: Hi guys, here's the screenshot. As I say...I did get the holes in but doing the counterbore (which will be .44" dia) is a bit of a challenge. Easy to do on a planar face, not so much on a non-planar one. I thank you for your advice and give your ideas a go
  10. W

Hi, new here.....first time question. I have a conical shaped face that I want to show a counterbored hole in. The face was created by using the revolve tool so basically imagine a solid cylinder with one end as a shallow angle conical face about 5 degrees so....almost flat...opposite to a...