What's new

What do you use to manage File and Folder Versions? (Other than renaming versions...)

Would you find this useful?

• Yes - This would be better than something I use (and I'll post about)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sacherjj

So as a programmer, I typical version files with a source control system. This does work for Alibre files, but is a little more work that I'd like at times.

I have not found a piece of software that I've thought of and don't know if it is out there and I missed it, or if no one has built it.

Here is what I'm thinking:

1 - A windows service runs and you setup folders to watch. If files change in these folders, a compressed copy of the changed file is created to the data location and a version is saved. This is automatic.
2 - A CLI interface (at first) allows you to add folders, remove folders, list them, see history of folder, tag a version, and prune old space.
3 - A GUI comes next and what most would use, as viewing all versions will be easier.

So you are using Alibre (or many other software) and you are designing an Assembly with a dozen part files. Each time you save any file in that folder, we get a folder version as positive integer. Each file also has a version. Now you go a different direction and totally f'up the design. If only you could roll back to what all files looked like 20 minutes ago.

Select the folder version of then and restore. Now you are back to before messing it up. The other file versions are still there, but any new changes will be shown after them.

Once you have not changed these files in a while (user configurable) the software would remind that you can tag them and also prune history (to reclaim disk space). With many saves, the disk space will be large. Even if I store compressed.

So the idea is something versions for you when you save. If you don't need it, you can have the software prune automatically at a certain time or space or whatever we come up with. Otherwise it just does this in the background.

If the data drive is on another physical drive, it also gives you a backup of the main disk data for another good use.

sacherjj

I use M-Files
Is that through your company or personal? I've been trying to look at functionality and price for that and can't find anything without having to fill out a form. I worry about the "if you have to ask, you can't afford it."

albie0803

Alibre Super User
M-Files was once bundled with higher Alibre versions.
Yes, that's how I got it and work pays for it now. It was free until a few years back when the version I had was no longer be supported by windows, so we had to upgrade.

dwc

Alibre Super User
I used to use FileHamster, which was inexpensive and easy to use. It is unfortunately no longer being supported, and that since Win8.1

sacherjj

FileHampster is fairly close to what I want, but not quite. I think you should be able to see a folder version that is a roll up of all the files below it. This is hard for them to do as all file versions are tracked via actual file names rather than a proper data structure. The Zip compression seems to only work for additional changes and they don't seem to be actually hashing the file to detect changes, but relying only on timestamp. The only downside is if software "touches" file without changing them and you generate quite a few versions that are actually the same.

I think I'll still work on this as I'm playing with Rust as Windows Service and a few other good learning bits. Not sure if it will go anywhere or not. But I see many pieces of FileHamster that I would do differently. Until then, I'm running the $22 version of their software to check it out.

I like the script attachment idea on a change. This could be super useful for detecting changes to a part and automatically rendering STEP exports of it to keep in sync for 3d printing, etc. Some interesting ideas.

tyc

Although I haven't used the versioning capabilities of it, you can take a look at Syncthing. As the name suggests, its primary function is to sync files between computers/devices, however I remember it allows versioning as well. Considering it's an open source software, you could probably make it more like what you need it for.

oilman

Alibre is working on their own PDM system that I think will handle what you describe. I hear it's coming in the next release :)

I searched long and hard for a file management system for parts/assemblies. The only one that seemed to work with CAD files that wasn't obscenely expensive was around $300/year and it was, unfortunately, cloud-based.

I've held off on purchasing anything since I heard that Alibre was making their own PDM. I believe it's been in the works for several years now.

sacherjj

I'm finding FileHamster completely missing versions with empty files. Will disable Zip to see if that is a factor or if it is running into unable to copy open files. Continuing to play with this as a way of learning Rust development on windows and make cross platform. But in no rush.

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
I'm finding FileHamster completely missing versions with empty files. Will disable Zip to see if that is a factor or if it is running into unable to copy open files. Continuing to play with this as a way of learning Rust development on windows and make cross platform. But in no rush.
Rust!!!