What's new

Just bought software and interface different than trial

ronp

Hey gang, I can't believe I'm already on here asking for help after just buying the software yesterday but even though I've only used the 30-day trial I did get used to certain things being in a certain place, SO, here's the dumb question, and I promise I tried to find an answer in help but couldn't, when making a rectangle I like to use the center point choice but there's no longer a drop down with rectangle anymore. There's one choice, the two point choice and that's it. I can even look the center point choice up in help and it will explain what it is and say to choose it from the ribbon BUT... how. Sorry again for such newbie question and thanks in advance for the help.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Check in the Help manual if come commands/options seem to be missing from what you trialed.

As @DavidJ stated:
1709764380022.png
If it's greyed out for your program level then it's not available.

ronp

Have maybe trialled Alibre Design Expert, but purchased Atom3D?
I'm ok with some changes but when the rectangle choice goes from having a little arrow on it so you can pick what kind of rectangle you want to make to no arrow, and therefore no choice, it's not only annoying but one has to really wonder.... why? For now I'm assuming that I'm the problem here but seriously, finding out how to change the ribbon should be about as easy as clicking the right mouse button over the ribbon. Thanks for your reply.
Check in the Help manual if come commands/options seem to be missing from what you trialed.

As @DavidJ stated:
View attachment 41242
If it's greyed out for your program level then it's not available.
I typed exactly what you show above and was taken to where I was taken before posting my question. It explains what each type of rectangle is and how to choose it from the Sketch Figures group. Only problem is I don't get those three choices anymore. In the trial there was a little arrow that brought down choices of rectangles, it's not greyed out, it's not there. And if the $199 level doesn't have what the trial had then the trial shouldn't have it either bc it's what the trial allowed me to do that made me buy the software. Furthermore, seriously, the cheaper version scrimps on rectangle choices??? I doubt that and certainly hope not bc if so then it's probably bye bye Alibre. Thanks for getting back to me.

ronp

There are 2 trials

Atom3D and Design Expert - which trial did you take?
I'm starting to think Design Expert although it never said Design Expert but just Alibre. Now that I've purchased the software it says Atom3D. The other thing that's weird is that when I purchased the software there wasn't any new download but instead I just clicked on what I had been clicking on for 30 days and it now looked a bit different, like the sketch ribbon for example, and THEN after a bit I noticed the Atom3D up top. I feel like Alibre needs to be more clear on this up front. It's not that I think they are purposely being deceptive but just not clear. I felt the same way when I actually purchased the software and it wasn't just the $199 but also another $50 for updates for a year. The 20% off helps but you think you'll be paying $160 not $200 and you'll have the same tools you've been using for the last month.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
All levels of software are actually the same code - the available features and which version of the UI you see is controlled by licence key (or small differences in the installer, in the case of the trial).

The 12 months of updates is an optional charge - some customer choose to purchase updates, some don't.

The desktop shortcut text will probably reflect which trial you installed.

JimCad

$200 for a lifetime license of a very good 3D package. Absolute bargain in my opinion.
I started with Atom and then upgraded to Expert very soon afterwards.
Compare that with Autodesk & Dassault. They are are far beyond the reach of ordinary people and Alibre is Superb.
Just my opinion.
Stick at it. It grows on you.
Jim

Ken226

Alibre Super User
I'm starting to think Design Expert although it never said Design Expert but just Alibre. Now that I've purchased the software it says Atom3D. The other thing that's weird is that when I purchased the software there wasn't any new download but instead I just clicked on what I had been clicking on for 30 days and it now looked a bit different, like the sketch ribbon for example, and THEN after a bit I noticed the Atom3D up top. I feel like Alibre needs to be more clear on this up front. It's not that I think they are purposely being deceptive but just not clear. I felt the same way when I actually purchased the software and it wasn't just the $199 but also another $50 for updates for a year. The 20% off helps but you think you'll be paying $160 not $200 and you'll have the same tools you've been using for the last month.

You downloaded the Trial for Alibre Design. It doesn't specify "Alibre Design Expert", but it does specify "Alibre Design". If you click the link to the trial download here, you will see that it says "Alibre Design":

The trial download for Alibre Atom specifies that it is for Atom. Available here:

Atom is very capable, but is very much neutered in shortcuts and easy buttons. It can be difficult to use if you are coming from something like Fusion, where even the cheap/free hobby version is full featured, with all the shortcuts and easy buttons. A program like Fusion hooks you it with the full featured CAD, but has the downside of making you keep your files on the cloud, and for the free version, limiting how many active files you can have.

Alibre gives you full access to your files, no limit on the number of files, and allows you to use even the cheap version, ATOM, for commercial purposes if you like. Unfortunately, where ATOM hurts is that you have to do everything the hard way. Very few of these:

akrales_210125_4362_0006.jpg

Atom is a fantastic CAD training tool though. If forces you to think outside the box.

ronp

You downloaded the Trial for Alibre Design. It doesn't specify "Alibre Design Expert", but it does specify "Alibre Design". If you click the link to the trial download here, you will see that it says "Alibre Design":

The trial download for Alibre Atom specifies that it is for Atom. Available here:

Atom is very capable, but is very much neutered in shortcuts and easy buttons. It can be difficult to use if you are coming from something like Fusion, where even the cheap/free hobby version is full featured, with all the shortcuts and easy buttons. A program like Fusion hooks you it with the full featured CAD, but has the downside of making you keep your files on the cloud, and for the free version, limiting how many active files you can have.

Alibre gives you full access to your files, no limit on the number of files, and allows you to use even the cheap version, ATOM, for commercial purposes if you like. Unfortunately, where ATOM hurts is that you have to do everything the hard way. Very few of these:

View attachment 41265

Atom is a fantastic CAD training tool though. If forces you to think outside the box.
Yeah, I see all that NOW but the problem is that when someone is coming in cold they just see free trial and click, dig the features, especially for the money, buy it and all of a sudden, wait, what, they're not only not getting what they thought they were getting but it's pretty shocking that something as basic at centering a rectangle isn't part of the lesser product. All of that said, I like the product very much and wouldn't miss what I didn't know existed if I hadn't accidentally tried it. I had tried Fusion first and Dear Lord I HATED the experience. And the realization that if I ever figured it out I would get to pay $400 a year, at least, for the rest of my life, caused me to come to my senses and bail. I also tried FreeCad but despite how much I appreciate what they're trying to do it just felt incomplete and in process, if that makes any sense, as I was using it. I'm just a hobby guy with a 3D printer trying to do what TinkerCad can't do, so, unless Atom (is that what I actually have, lol) totally lets me down in the next month I'll most likely stick with it. Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it.

ronp

All levels of software are actually the same code - the available features and which version of the UI you see is controlled by licence key (or small differences in the installer, in the case of the trial).

The 12 months of updates is an optional charge - some customer choose to purchase updates, some don't.

Yep, I understand what happened now. I trialed the better product, thought that it was what I was buying and then thought the interface just needed to be changed and that I just couldn't figure out how to do it. I still like the product and think that it will meet my needs, I just wish I didn't get used to some short-cuts that no longer exist. Oh well. Live and learn. Thanks for you help.

ronp

$200 for a lifetime license of a very good 3D package. Absolute bargain in my opinion.
I started with Atom and then upgraded to Expert very soon afterwards.
Compare that with Autodesk & Dassault. They are are far beyond the reach of ordinary people and Alibre is Superb.
Just my opinion.
Stick at it. It grows on you.
Jim
Yeah I agree, I just made the mistake of playing with the better product for 30 days and then thought that that was what I was getting. Like I said elsewhere, I'm just a hobby guy with a 3D printer stepping up from TinkerCad and after trying Fusion (which I thought was pure torture) I really like this program a lot. Thanks.

ronp

So if I can just figure out a way to sneak the better UI onto this I'm good to go? lol. Just kidding. Thanks again for your help.

JimCad

I too am a hobby guy with a 3D printer.
I have a CNC router too.
I use Alibre for a little freelance CAD stuff too which is why I bought expert.
Jim

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I have rectangle by center command but usually I just draw a regular rectangle and a reference line from corner to corner and then midpoint constraint the line. I find it easier to work with it this way if i need to drag or trim a part of the rectangle.

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
Sorry but making Atom3D less productive by removing core drawing tools is not acceptable in 2024. All 2D sketch tools should be included, geometric workarounds is not the solution.
Sketching Time Savers and Advanced Sketch Creation Tools - in my opinion should be included especially since free software include them and the time saved by Atom3D users using them adds value to their overall experience.This also breaks training when Atom3D users don’t have the same core tools available to them as in the other versions. What would providing all the sketch tools do to the cost? The code required is trivial, and doesn’t impact anything else, we’re talking about the sketch environment. Not including all Part or Assembly tools is understandable, but Sketch tools seem to be a marketing product strategy to limit Atom3D in every area unnecessarily. It is an awesome product that can be better.

I don’t use every sketch tool available to me but I expect them to be there when I do, including rectangle by center in 2024

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
Slots is another sketch tool that should be available to all versions in v28 or when it is released. Atom3D users want to save time too!

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Slots is another sketch tool that should be available to all versions in v28 or when it is released. Atom3D users want to save time too!
So where do you draw the feature line (pun intended) for the huge difference in price between Atom and Pro/Expert?

What would providing all the sketch tools do to the cost?
It would make it the same as Alibre Expert! Don't you think the low cost of Atom is already being subsidised by the cost paid by Pro and Expert users?

There is nothing you can't achieve with Atom if you invest some time in the process. If you want to save time you need to invest money in a more capable tool, that's how things work. Money=Time, right!

If you think free software offers more, then feel free to use that!

Last edited:

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
I agree, but sketch tools? All sketch tools should be included except if the tool require another feature or tool not included in Atom3D. I'm not questioning the value I've always had Expert, I just feel sketching limitations are a missed opportunity that would make Atom3D better.