What's new

Moving, rotating a part created in an assembly

Barnabas

I am attempting to transition from Fusion to Atom3D. I created a spur gear part within an assembly by using a dxf as the sketch. After extruding the part it seems to be anchored. Is there a way to "free" it from its created position? I saved the part and assembly, deleted the part from within the assembly, and brought it back in. That worked but it seems clunky.

Solution
This video is from a rather old series covering assembly design in Alibre - though the interface appearance is out of date, the information relating to inter-design constraints still applies.

dwc

Alibre Super User
In the assembly explorer, tight click on the part.
There the part can be anchored or un-anchored.
When un-anchored, the part can be constrained.

Barnabas

The part is not anchored...it just acts like it is. I discovered that assembly explorer contains "intradesign relationships". Deleting those allowed me to constrain the parts. Any insight into what they mean? I didn't find anything in Help or here on a forum search.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
The part is not anchored...it just acts like it is. I discovered that assembly explorer contains "intradesign relationships". Deleting those allowed me to constrain the parts. Any insight into what they mean? I didn't find anything in Help or here on a forum search.
They are called InterDesign Relations. A forum search on that term will lead you to a lot of posts about them. I personally don't use them since I don't create parts in the assembly context - unless absolutely necessary. If you see them applied, delete them to save you a lot of problems.

I found this bit in the Help Manual...

Last edited:

Ken226

Alibre Super User
If you see them applied, delete them to save you a lot of problems.

Before I learned this, I wasted many hours of time remodeling parts and assemblies. Sometimes more than once, after an interdesign relation distorted things out of shape.

I despise InterDesign Relations. I still design parts in the assembly environment quite a bit, but I try to delete the interdesign relations as soon as they are created.

Barnabas

Wow! This is likely a deal breaker for me. I only do top-down design. I'll do some research to understand when and why interdesign relations are created. If I can't stomach the answers it will be bye-bye Alibre.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
This video is from a rather old series covering assembly design in Alibre - though the interface appearance is out of date, the information relating to inter-design constraints still applies.

Solution

Ken226

Alibre Super User
Wow! This is likely a deal breaker for me. I only do top-down design. I'll do some research to understand when and why interdesign relations are created. If I can't stomach the answers it will be bye-bye Alibre.

While it would be nice if there was a button to toggle it off/on, it's only a couple seconds to delete them all. Shift/select then hit the delete key.

sz0k30

Used to be a professional on NX, now just a hobbyist on Alibre, so no more mega assemblies. I NEVER created parts in the assembly. Always create parts individually, then insert them into the assembly and constrain them as necessary. NEVER worry about inter-design relationships.

As a current user of NX and Solidworks to design molds as well as Alibre Expert for hobbies, I understand how inter part relationships can be frustrating. When NX first acquired solid modeling with promotions (wave linking now), it was extremely easy to create circular references. The link below is for NX training, and I thought I knew something about cad software, but he has some basic instructions that apply to any cad system.

Basically, staying away from having relations look like a spider web and having them look more like straight lines as a design philosophy is one thought. Properly used inter part relations are a strong design tool and I lean on them where they make sense.