What's new

Project to Sketch

JerryB

I'm not sure when it is appropriate to project to sketch. It seems that every time I create a new sketch on an existing surface that I cannot snap to a point on that surface unless I first project to sketch. Is that expected, or am I missing something?

Also, is there a way to go back and turn on "maintain alignment to the original object" once the projection has been completed?

Solution
I'm coming from Fusion 360 to Alibre. In Fusion, I can sketch directly on any flat surface and have access to all the geometry to use for reference. Doing so maintains alignment to the original surface. I only project when I need access in the sketch to existing geometry which is not on the same plane. So I'm wondering if I really need to project in all cases, or maybe I missed something in the videos?

Projecting to sketch every time you need to reference existing geometry in a new sketch seems like an inefficient work flow for such a common task (a click to project, another to select reference geometry, another to maintain alignment, and another to execute). While this gets the job done, it has me thinking I must be doing...

languer

Also, is there a way to go back and turn on "maintain alignment to the original object" once the projection has been completed?
That is an excellent question (and one I've had as well - just out of curiosity).

It seems that every time I create a new sketch on an existing surface that I cannot snap to a point on that surface unless I first project to sketch. Is that expected, or am I missing something?
I am new to this workflow but you have to think of every piece you add to the previous shape as an add-on. You are adding a new piece to the previous piece and therefore are creating a new sketch to define that new piece. I hope I actually understood what you were asking.

Ken226

Alibre Super User
I'm not sure when it is appropriate to project to sketch. It seems that every time I create a new sketch on an existing surface that I cannot snap to a point on that surface unless I first project to sketch. Is that expected, or am I missing something?

I use it on pretty much every sketch.

Check the "maintain association to source entity" checkbox, to keep the projected sketch/reference figure affixed to the source from which the figure was projected.

You can use project to sketch in some circumstances, and in others you can just create the sketch figures and use constraints to constrain them to underlying part geometry. It's up to you to decide which circumstance will favor which technique.

JerryB

I'm coming from Fusion 360 to Alibre. In Fusion, I can sketch directly on any flat surface and have access to all the geometry to use for reference. Doing so maintains alignment to the original surface. I only project when I need access in the sketch to existing geometry which is not on the same plane. So I'm wondering if I really need to project in all cases, or maybe I missed something in the videos?

Projecting to sketch every time you need to reference existing geometry in a new sketch seems like an inefficient work flow for such a common task (a click to project, another to select reference geometry, another to maintain alignment, and another to execute). While this gets the job done, it has me thinking I must be doing something incorrectly.

Solution

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Constraints and dimensions will work directly to the parts edges without projecting first.

They will even work directly to the edges of other parts while editing parts in place in an assembly - but be careful of making things to complicated for the constraint solvers.

JerryB

I don't believe I'm making it complicated. I just draw a rectangle, extrude it into a cube. Then sketch on a face of the cube. In the sketch, I try to draw a rectangle by snapping a corner to the corner of the cube face, but it won't snap. To get it to snap, I must first select the face of the cube (or an edge of it) and project to sketch (I check the boxes to project as reference, and to maintain association). Then it will snap to the corner.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Multiple ways to do it.

Draw your rectangle on the face. Dimension the edge. Delete the dimension. Once the edge reference is there you can drag the rectangle to the corner.

<Edit>

Or
Draw your rectangle on the face. Constrain to the edges.

JimCad

Hello Jerry B
To quote you:

Just different ways of thinking.
I used Inventor all day every day for 14 years. Alibre is slightly different but different enough for me to struggle sometimes. It's just a case of becoming familiar with it and you'll fall in love with it like the rest of us did.
Also, Will you create a user profile with your version so that the experienced users (not me yet) can help.
Atom, Pro, or Expert.
Different ways of doing things between each of them.
Jim

JerryB

It is helpful to know that dimensions and constraints will work to the edges of existing geometry without projecting. That makes it a lot easier.

Yeah, I'm sure I just need to get my head around the specifics of Alibre. I've been through enough CAD products (AutoCad, TurboCad, SketchUp, Design Spark, FreeCad, Fusion 360) that it gets difficult to keep it all straight. But I'm hoping Alibre will be the one I can consolidate all my CAD work into. Thanks to you guys for helping me through this transition.

I do not see where to create a profile on the Forum. I'm currently in the 30 day trial, using Alibre Expert. I'm thinking of going with Pro, as it has everything I need. Expert has some nice to haves, mostly global parameters, but I can live without them.

Stu3d

Projecting to sketch every time you need to reference existing geometry in a new sketch seems like an inefficient work flow for such a common task (a click to project, another to select reference geometry, another to maintain alignment, and another to execute). While this gets the job done, it has me thinking I must be doing something incorrectly.
Here is an AutoHotKey script that will automate the process. Select a face and this script when activated will start a new sketch on that face, project to sketch everything as reference figures, enable maintain association and close the dialog. Bear in mind I believe best practice is to sketch on planes when inserting parts in to an assembly but that could be confined to just the faces to be used for assembly constraints.
Also can be set to project a sketch figure instead of a reference figure.
I have these programmed directly in to keyboard macro keys as can be seen in my profile picture so that is an option if you have those.
There is also a script for extrude cut through all (very useful in conjunction with project sketch figure) and extrude boss midplane if you look in the resources section of this forum.

+a:: ;set hotkey to Shift A. This can be set to a key combination of your choice, Shift is +, Ctrl is ^, Alt is !
Send, {1} ;Project to Sketch, my keyboard shortcut for PTS in Alibre is 1
Send, {Tab} ;tab to output options
Send, {Down} ;change setting from sketch figure to reference figure, remove this line to leave as a sketch figure
Send, {Tab} ;tab to Maintain Association
Send, {Space} ;change setting to Maintain Association
Send, {Enter} ;apply changes and close dialog
return

JerryB

Wow Stu3d! This looks really interesting, but I'll need time to play with it and assimilate the information. I can definitely see the opportunity here for a Python script here. I'm beginning to see that Alibre can be loads of fun.

JerryB

Bear in mind that Expert is the highest level of the software and if you buy Pro or Atom you will not get all the feature and tools.

Jim
Understood, but I can easily upgrade at any time for the difference in cost. Right now, I'm having a problem in my mind with doubling the cost (especially the annual maintenance cost) for the few things I'd actually use in Expert. I'd love to have global parameters, but doubling the cost is not worth it. I can work around it instead.
Bear in mind that Expert is the highest level of the software and if you buy Pro or Atom you will not get all the feature and tools.

Jim

JimCad

I started with Atom but very quickly upgraded to Pro as I could see what a bargain it is. ( my Wife would go crazy if she found out )
I'm just a retired hobbyist but do a bit of freelance stuff as & when I can.
My maintenance has finished now and I'll decide whether to renew it or not when I check the features on new versions.
Jim

JimCad

Sorry for the delay. Been on a cruise to the Canaries to celebrate my 70th.
I decided to upgrade from Atom and just thought "Oh well I'll go for the full package and hope Mrs. Jim doesn't find out."
I remember looking at the list of things different between Pro & Expert and made a choice.
I'm happy with my choice & Jackie's not found out . . . . . yet so it's a "win win" :D

Jim