What's new

Search results

1. R

3D sketch loop length

Been using Alibre for a long long time. Occasionally I will have a part that gets made by tube bending. In the past I thought I had done the centerline as a 3D sketch and swept the tube profile over it, making it very easy to measure length between bend starts and overall length of material...
  2. R

Alibre Workshop

Does this allow custom post processors? I've got a few machines that don't use traditional g-code.
  3. R

Shortcut to Export a DXF File?

The other CAD packages I've used export only features on the plane. It might be nice to be able to export the transformed profiles that are visible from that plane. An option to place origin at the centroid and adjust angle or snap an axis to a line would be a big time saver too. Regarding...
  4. R

Yes Nate. I'm familiar with the work flow, I just miss it as a standard automated feature that preserves profile origin like many of the other CAD packages I use.
  5. R

I will second Pete's request. selecting a face and exporting it to dxf is a big time saver, especially if its a non orthogonal plane.
  6. R

model based definition STEP export?

Lew, the idea behind the 242 format is to get away from supplemental documents and include everything in the step file. Its relatively new, but the time savings look very promising. Here is a MBD file shown using NIST's STEP analyzer
  7. R

model based definition STEP export?

Is there a way to retain the annotations when exporting to the new STEP 242 format? If not, are there any plans to implement it?
  8. R

Exact part placement in drawing mode

its not necessarily going to cam software, but since every mill part I do has 0 in the center, and every part I model has 0 in the center that would be a nice bonus. This is one of the few basic features that solidworks blows alibre out of the water on, exporting 2d shapes. It seems silly to...
  9. R

Let's say I want the part origin to be at drawing 0,0. How would that be done?
  10. R

I have always guessed the zero point in the drawing and transformed the exported DXF/DWG in whatever downstream program I'm using. This is inconvenient and time consuming. is there a way to exact place a part in the drawing creation mode?
  11. R

API Documentation???

Thanks for the suggestion I looked at the reference manual and I do not see any functions that add a part to an existing assembly.
  12. R

API Documentation???

Is anyone actively developing add ons with the current version of visual studio and geomagic? I'd like to throw together a quick macro to insert files based on an eagle parts list, x,y,z,rotation file and a corresponding model lookup file, but couldn't find anything on the geomagic web site...
  13. R

changing sketch plane?

Is there a quick way to move an existing sketch from one plane to another?
  14. R

"Next" release for GMD

Fusion 360 does offer a Mac version in addition to the MS version that seems to work just as well. Usually non MS based mech eng software really sucks.
  15. R

"Next" release for GMD

I've been very slowly transitioning to fusion 360 for 100% new projects. I see solidworks thrown around here a lot. I use SW and GMD every day. SW is old, buggy ,and bloated. If you have no legacy part models and arent using a specific plug in, it's a terrible choice to switch to.
  16. R

License Key Update

Thanks again
  17. R

License Key Update

I'm getting a "this machine is not licensed to run Geomagic design" error when I open. Worked fine on this PC for quite a while. It is not installed on any other machines. Anything I can do on my end while I wait for tech support to reply to my e-mail or return my phone call?
  18. R

Sycode add ons and GeoDesign?

Has anyone got any of the sycode add ons (specifically the sketch up importer) to work under 2013/GeoDesign? It is not showing up as an add on
  19. R

Geomagic/2013

First person I told about it thought I was talking about the gravity field mapping software Geomagix The name is horrible, but its not bad enough to spend an extra 3 grand on another software package. Spent a few hours with it last night The circle dimensioning is nice, but should have been...
  20. R

any of you all use Iventor as well as Alibre

been using inventor for about 5 years, solidworks for a year before that. tried alibre a few years ago, bought a copy almost 2 years ago. I try to avoid catia whenever possible, but work demands it at times. Mostly tooling and sheetmetal, some automotive accessory and suspension type stuff.