What's new

Search results

1. wsimonton

SAVE AS to new directory

I hope this has been asnwered. Is there a way to save an Assembly with all its associated subdirectories also saved in the same relationship and names as the original? I hope this is something simple that I am missing or just going about it wrong in my ignorance
  2. wsimonton

3D pdf

If you get an Error message when 3D pdf printing, it is probably having trouble with a LOFT in some part or parts if any assembly.
  3. wsimonton

Moving a Sketch?

An easy way to move a sketch is to identify two (2) points. A point on the sketch and and a point where you want that point to end up. One way to do which I often use is to draw a reference line with one point at the original point and the end where I want the point to end up. If you want to...
  4. wsimonton

Unwrapping A Cylinder

Here a couple of photos of flangers. the first link is to some photos of flanger being used in the shop of the Wiscasset, Waterville & Farmington RR Museum - a 2" railroad in Maine, and the second is unknown and the third from the Age of Steam workshop. Look up McCabe Flanger. One example >>>>
  5. wsimonton

Unwrapping A Cylinder

That is similar to what I did initially (See attached) but I would like to do it in Sheet Metal.
  6. wsimonton

Unwrapping A Cylinder

Next question. I need/would like to create a flange on the 30" diameter cylinder where it would attach to the 44" vertical cylinder. A easy way to do that as the original had a flange which was not a add-on but formed (flanged on a flanger) to provide a surface to rivet the two cylinders...
  7. wsimonton

Unwrapping A Cylinder

Thank you. I learn new things every day. Probably a good this as my hobby is history and a hobby which makes me think is probably very good way to stay alert at my age.
  8. wsimonton

Unwrapping A Cylinder

I have created a T-Boiler which is still in the early stages. What I want to do is unwrap the vertical cylinder and create the sheet metal to more correctly illustrate the design and maybe assist in the development of plans for a new boiler. An illustration of the "Pro Forma Boiler" is below...
  9. wsimonton

Newbie Pyramid Builder Seeks Insights

If that does not work - Atom's chamfer option to follow that method is not available - try this. Draw a square 450mm on a side on the XZ Plane (I did it on the XY plane). Insert a second plane 25mm offset from the original plane. I used Center based rectangle - not available in Atom but it...
  10. wsimonton

Export To STL Bomb

I found on occasion that complex parts or assemblies would hang or produce corrupt stl files if the stl parameters were set too "tight". Do not know why but the thing to test is the 2 degree default. Increase that to 5 degrees and retry. That may help or not.
  11. wsimonton

Importing DXF files into V17

"Heal" will also create some strange results and sometimes scramble the 2D drawing in my experience. I have not observed a consistent result on imported 2D drawings. At least one can always start over with the imported 2D drawing if the "healing" results in a scrambled drawing.
  12. wsimonton

Importing DXF files into V17

Usually the problem with imported 2D drawings is that the figures are not Closed when Alibre imports them. Lines which originate at the same point in the 2D drawing end up in Alibre with separate end points (so close it is impossible to "see"). The easiest way to close the figure is to pick a...
  13. wsimonton

Splitting Solids? - **Solved**

You can create the Planes, and use the Precise Section Views to Cut the Part (show the Section), and then starting from the Plane of the Section creating the View, use 2D Sketch and Project to Sketch on the surface to create the drawing(s) with one command. I have used that on numerous...
  14. wsimonton

Part not in assembly-explorer

The extra Part was buried three (3) layers deep in a subassembly. I went down the trees until I found it and suppressed it. The "corrected" model is attached.
  15. wsimonton

Extrude select features of sketch

Just turn all those lines which are "Dirty" into Reference Lines and then make sure that that part of the Sketch which you want to extrude in a closed figure with Lines, etc. If necessary add a line or two to close the figure. You also may want to create a Dirty Sketch, save it, and then copy...
  16. wsimonton

Tutorial: Creating a Twisted Flat Bar in Alibre Design

Here is a technique provided to me by Oldbelt. The three flat layers provide the shape and all one has to do is use a spline curve to connect the three layers at each corner.
  17. wsimonton

2D Drawing Errors

I have a Part which generating an "extra" line and failing to display another edge. This is the same Part that failed to display boundary lines until I added a Guide Curve - a straight line in the area which failed to display. I have looked at the 3D file repeatedly to try to find what is...
  18. wsimonton

opening dxf converts in metric only?

Going to File = Properties = General should permit you to change the displayed dimensions from Metric to Imperial.
  19. wsimonton

Loft Not Projecting in 2D Alibre Drawing

Did not know that. Thanks for the tip.
  20. wsimonton

Loft Not Projecting in 2D Alibre Drawing

Here is the updated file - packaged.