What's new

Search results

1. J

HP Stream 14 for Alibre 2019 ??!!

No, I’m not kidding, the HP 14” Stream works quite well with Alibre 2019. Ok, it’s not the fastest but definitely a usable computer to take to the coffee shop, throw it in the truck or car or covered wagon. Nice part it is not so expensive that if something happens it is not a disaster. The...
  2. J

Home Screen - Recent File Display

First of all I definitely like 2018 (year and program), keep up the great work (defeatable bugs and all). I have a problem with the recent file display, a very useful feature when working on a design but a real problem when discussing a design with a third party. There may be files that relate...
  3. J

Remember your password!

Quite a while ago I forgot my password for the forum and after trying the allotted "forgot password" attempts I was directed to contact the administrator. Only problem was that there seemed to be no administrator. Support was helpful but it took quite a while to get the problem solved and I...
  4. J

System Crash

Recently I had a major system crash on my primary computer. That computer was the one that I “upgraded” from Windows 8 to 8.1. At first it would not boot to normal windows but would boot in Safe Mode. Checking for viruses found nothing but Windows Update error kept coming up. Trying Restore did...
  5. J

Windows 8 to 8.1 "Upgrade"?

This must be something one does as senility sets in, I decided to “upgrade” one of my Windows 8 computers to 8.1. Well, the long and short of it is I do not recommend doing that, and since I do not use the cloud and work from the desktop there seems to be no advantage with 8.1. Now this is...
  6. J

FEA Part Analysis

I do a little FEA analysis on some individual parts of a design. Mecway has relaeaed Mecway 2.0 and I have found it very useul. I have no connection with Mecway other than as a user. I find that using Geomagic design, exporting the part as a STEP file and doing a FEA analysis using Mecway has...
  7. J

Dynamics "side-by-side" error

I recently installed Dynamics on a Windows 8 system and get a “side-by-side configuration” error when I attempt to start the program. Haven’t had much time to spend on that right now, submitted a ticket, but was wondering if anyone has run into the same problem and solved it. Thanks, Jim C
  8. J

The Big Red X

From past posts this seems to be an occasional problem with 2012 and 2013. This occurs only rarely on my XP machine in the shop if the part/drawing is left open and windows goes to sleep. This has occurred only a few times in the last year and is more of a nuisance than anything else as long as...
  9. J

Offset lines in a Drawing?

I machine the parts of most of my designs on a manual mill and lathe. On the drawings that I use for milling I typically include dimensions that represent the center of the cutter that I will use. When using a 2D drawing package it was easy to simply offset a feature by the required amount and...
  10. J

2013 hangs when opening IGS files.

Has anyone had problems opening IGS files under 2013? I just recently found 2013 64 bit hangs when trying to open several IGS files.
  11. J

File compatibility 2013 Beta and 2013 release.

Will files generated with 2013 Beta be compatible with 2013 release? JimC
  12. J

A question about Alibre versions.

Is it possible to reinstall an older version of Alibre on a licensed computer to see if a given operation can be done and then reinstall the latest version back without having to request changes in the license key each time? Jim C
  13. J

Looking for new laptop, Toshiba?

I am looking for a new laptop that will be mainly used for numerical computation, Alibre and data acquisition. Don’t plan on playing any games and all that is needed for graphics is reasonable display of graphs and CAD objects. Also this will be set up as a multiple operating system. The...
  14. J

Small angle concentric arcs

1. Create an arc using “start, end, radius” with a small included angle similar to the lower sketch on the right hand side of the attached image. 2. Make an offset “inside” the first arc. (“Outside” also produces same result.) 3. Draw a line connecting the right hand ends of the...
  15. J

Twisted turn

Attached is a simplified single “turn” of a coil with rectangular cross section using a 3D path to define the shape of the part. This could be a spring or conductor etc. Although this part is “symmetrical” (quick and easy to plot the path in a 3D drawing) others may have lumps that are not...
  16. J

Changing dimension styles in a drawing.

I’m having a problem with dimension styles in drawings. In a given drawing there dimensions that require different precision, some with just a basic dimension such as 6 inches and others with three place precision. I have made different dimension styles to choose from but it does not seem...
  17. J

Convert to Sheetmetal Limitation

The Convert to Sheet Metal operation seems to work properly with “flat” parts, that is parts such as boxes, rectangular channels and such even if they have variously cutout sections. But the process does not work correctly on cylindrical objects. I have included some images of two examples using...
  18. J

Constraining a hinge???

Attached is a simple T-hinge assembly. The hinge consists of two Boolean sections that are constrained about a common axis, the pin, which is part of one section. I cannot seem to apply a constraint that will keep the two sections from sliding along the axial direction of the pin. Any...
  19. J

Reorient section view in drawing.

Is there a way to change the orientation of a section view? The attached image shows two sections of a flange. I would like to have section B-B displayed vertical the same as section A-A. That makes the drawing much easier to dimension and use when making the part on a manual system.
  20. J

Cross members in an assembly

Attached is a partial assembly for a support structure. I’ve already built the thing and all components are welded. I thought it would be “fun” to make an assembly for this and all was going well until I tried to add the cross connecting rods. I’ve shown examples of two rods that should connect...