What's new

Search results

1. K

Upgrading, Licensing… recommendations

I am a long time Alibre user and have had good success with the software. My current version is version 14 and because of a break in projects, I thought it would be a good time to upgrade. When calling GMD and asking about the upgrade and what it would do for me, I found out about the license...
  2. K

Moving a sketch without changing it

I have a sketch that I copied over from another model file, and pasted it into another sketch. I now need to position this sketch by moving it to a new location. The location is on the same plane, just in a different location. I know I could carefully constrain it and then move it, but I...
  3. K

Vault, can it be set up more like folders instead of search

I can't say I really like the vault that much, as I preferred the old repository system much better. This is because I like to organize my projects as such. Main Customer folder = JPL. In the JPL folder, I would have MSL, Cassini, New Horizons, etc. In each of those folders, I would have...
  4. K

Trouble with Loft Boss with airfoil sections

I have two planes with two different sizes of the same airfoil section on each plane, but when trying Loft Boss. I get the "SKIN_SELF_INTERSECTION: Self intersecting or cusping surface found. (ext)". This is with two different sizes of the same airfoil section on the planes, but if I put the...
  5. K

Extracting a sketch from an imported SAT file

I have a SAT imported shape of a wing and would like to take a section of it, make a sketch, and re-make a new wing with the same profile. Is there a way to do this?
  6. K

Imported SAT file needs to be re-drawn

We have an imported SAT file that needs to be re-drawn so it can be modeled correctly. It is shaped like a banana and consists of ellipses and other conic curves so just measuring and re-drawing is not possible. I need to take the profile off of it and use it to extrude the basic shape again...
  7. K

Changing the up axis when clicking on Isomentric

I would like to change the orientation when clicking on the View Isometric icon, and all the other icons such as side, top, front, etc. The reason is, when exporting into CAM, I don't want to flip it every time. I want Z up, X to the right, and Y to the back. Is there any way to set this up...
  8. K

Alibre CAM, other CAM, decisions?

Last year we bought a Haas CNC lathe, and are learning programming on the machine because Alibre CAM does not have a lathe option. We are now buying a Haas CNC mill and I am faced with the decision of buying into Alibre CAM, or using another CAM program. Having used Alibre CAD for years, I am...
  9. K

What is the best way to constrain inter design?

In CAD, there are usually several ways to do things. My question is about interdesign constraints. Make a plate with three holes in it, make some posts with a reduced diameter on each end that fit into the holes. Constrain these parts into the three holes in the plate. Now, if another...
  10. K

Which Dell laptop would be best for AD 2011?

I now find myself in need of upgrading to a new laptop to run AD 2011. Dell has several choices, but choosing the right one is beyond me. What are some of the considerations when choosing one of their laptops? A 17" screen is preferred. Alibre said to stay away from Fire GO or a Quadro card.
  11. K

How does one export an assembly to ACAD?

I've tried a few ways but have not been successful at exporting an assembly to someone running ACAD. What am I doing wrong?
  12. K

Drawing shows some hole hidden lines even w/o hidden line on

Why does my drawing show some hidden lines for holes even without "show hidden lines" checked. When I check "show hidden lines" it shows more of the hole. I've searched around, both in the program and on the User Group, but can't find a solution.
  13. K

Using Alibre on a MacBook, without windows

Is there a way, and would it be a good plan, to use Alibre on a stand alone MacBook only running as a PC, with something other than Windows? Since I am not a big windows user, and only currently use my Dell Workstation for Alibre and Quickbooks, I can't answer this question. It is time to...
  14. K

Constraining to an edge or hole under a part

This may nave been discussed but, not exactly knowing what to search for, I will bring it up. I have a part with a hole in it, and another part on top of it without a hole in it. To make a hole in the top part and constrain it to the hole in the hidden part, I make the upper part transparent...
  15. K

Global Parameters, parametric parts in an assembly

After posting my previous post about modeling a telescope light cone, I realized my question was more than just that. I had always assumed that parts in an assembly could be parametric with each other, but had never tried it until recently. In an assembly, it appears that a dimension in part...
  16. K

Modeling a telescope, is there a way to model a light cone?

WHen modeling an optical system, is there any way to make a virtual light cone and have it reflect off a few mirrors? It also would be nice if it were dynamic... move the mirror and the virtual light cone part will change. This is probably asking quite a lot.
  17. K

Physical Properties, does the scientific notation bother you

Not only do I find the scientific notation annoying, but two times it cost me when I read it wrong. The problem is, when asking for a simple mass property or volume, it gives it like this: 6.480184908E-1 lbm. Or the surface area like this: 1.243900101E3 in 2 Yes, I know scientific notation...
  18. K

Naboo Royal Starship, I need to makes a similar solid

So I need to make a shape which is similar to a Naboo Royal Starship. What kind of issues will I have and can someone give me some advise as to where to start, tools to use, tutorials, etc.
  19. K

Problems with Imported STEP file, can't cut it

I have an imported STEP file that does not want to be cut using Extrude cut. A sketch is drawn in the middle of the part plane, and through all is selected. Error says: INCONS_FACE: inconsistent face-body relationships What is going on?
  20. K

Translate problem, Pro-E file

When I try to translate / import a Pro-E file I get the error that says: A Microsoft component is missing from your system. This file translation relies on this component. Please go to the Downloads page at http://www.alibre.com and click the Alibre Translate link to get the installer for...