What's new

Search results

1. F

we have an architect on board

I'm in geek heaven or hell, hard to tell, Very frustrating, trying to get to know several softwares whilst teaching myself CAD. Got to decide which, before spending big money on training - catch 22. Currently on my machine: Alibre Xpress, Acad 2002, uStn V8 incl. Triforma and Bentley...
  2. F

Hey! that makes me feel like a real beta tester!
  3. F

That's a good one Miles - I will download it when I have 30 days to spare! Just because the GC illustrations look curvy, that's not really my interest - maybe one day. I want to handle fairly conventional construction parametrically - or at least the creation of the guide geometry...
  4. F

Ah but GC isn't even in beta yet and when it appears will be stupendously expensive, being built on top of Bentley Structures and will need Bentley Architecture as well, on top of Triforma on top of Microstation; meanwhile Alibre Xpress is free and I can glimpse how it could maybe do the bit I'm...
  5. F

This article http://www.aecmag.com/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=35 seems to describe the 'top down' parametric dimensional framework idea - see 2nd para under subhead Generative Components,
  6. F

I said 9500mm or 9.500 metres - point, not comma. Yes, I expect it to happy with changing 9.5m to 9.5mm, but if you redimensioned to 9500mm, might be different! Seems Alibre expects objects to be about 5" across, feels just the same about 5cm or 5mm, can handle 5" expressed as 125mm, is happy...
  7. F

When I were a lad doing Physics O-level, the latest thing was the revolutionary move in science from fps (foot/pound system) to cgs (centimetre/gram system). I could totally grasp and visualise cgs - centimetres and grams were tangible. But in due course it got rationalised to mks...
  8. F

RE: We have an Architect on board

Earlier attempt - big-number dimensioning in milimetres seems to cause clipping plane invisibilities.
  9. F

Thanks Miles No, both those view things just contributed to the chaos. I'll post the milimetres version of my experiments - it's an abandoned mess but it may be of interest.
  10. F

RE: We have an Architect on board

RE: We have an Architect on board Re: my post in the above thread under General Discussion http://www.alibre.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=17609#17609. Comments please!
  11. F

This is some learning curve! I've posted in Binaries and would be glad of comment. It's is my attempt to create a 'top down' skeleton of parametrically dimensioned guide lines for a whole building, comprised of Parts within an Assembly. The faces represent the inner finished plaster face...
  12. F

All right, done some reading, now I'll try a few things. This is 11.9 - 11.11 in the Users Guide - Editing and Designing Parts in the Assembly, Joining parts and Removing Material in an Assembly. Sounds good. And you say Catalog Features - a Catalog rafter with a shaped end could be arrayed then...
  13. F

Yes, good to be back, hope I have reason to stay! Just give me one steer, my next move? As far as I could see, once a single contiguous solid is created in Parts, you can modify it all you like but you can't start a second solid in that Part? You can't copy it or array copies of it? Am I...
  14. F

As the original "Architect on board", I went back to the drawing board for a year but now have the supercomputer, 2 big monitors, Space Pilot, A1 printer and a raft of trial software, 2 months on the learning curve with very little finished work done or invoices out - no going back now! I do...
  15. F

Video Driver used by Alibre: OpenGL? or Direct3D? or other?

I hear that the forthcoming Microstation V9 is to switch from OpenGL to DirectX, so is this a trend? What are the pros and cons of each? What's missing from the cut-down Open GL that consumer cards have, and which part of the system is it, that then runs GL-based CAD slow or flaky? Are there...
  16. F

Video Driver used by Alibre: OpenGL? or Direct3D? or other?

Re: I hear that the forthcoming Microstation V9 is to switch from OpenGL to DirectX, so is this a trend? What are the pros and cons of each? What's missing from the cut-down Open GL that consumer cards have, and which part of the system...
  17. F

Yes? What is Rhino - we already have a solid modeller, so is it a surface modeller? If so, I don't presently feel the need, despite Jon Banquer (RIP). I believe my guru Mike does have in mind some strange combination like this, rather than a single thing like Microstation.
  18. F

Speaking as "the Architect on board" - so the thread's been split - and it feels like an open stage with a waiting mike! Well, I'm off out for a couple of days, then on Tuesday my guru colleague is coming for a day to help me sort out what I really need CADwise. He will run me through Sketchup...
  19. F

No - go for it! If you pull the design around till it all fits together really neatly in detail, like an elegant machine design, you can't go far wrong. Let your construction be visible, even exagerate ('express') it a bit, rather than bodging it together and covering it all up with plasterboard...
  20. F

Lookin' good. Vernacular architecture? To me that means 'naive', probably pre-1900 building-without-Architects; or it can be extended to mean e.g. 1930s builder's spec Tudorbethan housing, which has a consistent 'traditional' style; or 'neo-Vernacular' sometimes describes current spec housing...