What's new

Search results

1. B

Atom 3D Using Laptop Trackpad

By these answers, I take it that Alibre has chosen not include a way to pan and orbit with the trackpad yet?
  2. B

Sketch during section view

I guess it was dynamic. I found the precise section view. Thanks. Now how do I turn it back off?
  3. B

Use line or point to constrain a sketch

That was it: maintain association. That does seems silly to have to turn that on. I can't imagine not using that. Why would you project a line if you're just going to move it?
  4. B

Sketch during section view

I cannot understand the logic behind the features (or lack thereof) within this program. I'm trying to draw a sketch within a part, but I need to be in a section view. I can turn on the section view that I need, then enter the sketch, but the section view automatically turns off. Is this...
  5. B

Use line or point to constrain a sketch

I'm working in a sketch. I project a point from another sketch. Then I constrain part of my current sketch to that point, but then it moves. Why does the point that I projected from another sketch move? How can I constrain a sketch relative to another feature, line, or point within the design?
  6. B

Extrude but not Merge

It would be nice to get a free or even cheap version of Solidworks, but that just doesn't exist. I did do research and Alibre really does look like a good program. I don't mean to disparage it. It's just not what I'm used to so it'll be a bit of a learning curve for me. Does anyone have any...
  7. B

Extrude but not Merge

@NateLiqGrav: You're absolutely right. Much more work than adding a checkbox. The extent of each function would need to be decided by the user. I'm bringing over what I'm used to in Solidworks. Ultimately, I think giving the designer more control over the design is favorable. @bigseb: Just...
  8. B

Extrude but not Merge

No, this isn't just for illustration purposes. As @BlackBird28 mentioned, it's useful for assigning different materials to different bodies for design and analysis purposes. Manufacturing doesn't always happen from the very bottom up. Often, parts that are used in an assembly are made from...
  9. B

Extrude but not Merge

Why would I want to? There are so many situations. I model parts all the time that are a single part, but they are made of more than one material with different features. For instance, I was recently doing a 12-volt battery. It has various materials and parts (brackets) with co-planar faces. I...
  10. B

Leaving the Generate Bar at the End

Every time I edit a feature or a sketch, the Generate Bar (or whatever it's called) moves just below that feature or sketch and stays there when I'm done editing it. Then I have to pull it back down to the bottom. How can I edit features and sketches without the bar constantly moving up the...
  11. B

Use Different Parts of the Same Sketch

Sometimes I include items in a single sketch that are meant for various things. Some examples would be: Extruding in two directions. Extruding a boss with part of the sketch, and a cut with another part of the sketch. Extruding multiple cuts from the same sketch to different depths. I...
  12. B

Extrude a Sketch Both Directions

I know that "Dual Depth" is an option in the Extrude command window, but this only allows depths of specified distances. How can I extrude the same sketch both directions up to different surfaces or bodies? Or possibly up to a surface in one direction and a certain distance in the other direction?
  13. B

Extrude but not Merge

How can I extrude a sketch in a part, but not have it join or merge with the rest of the part? Essentially making multiple bodies in the same part? Thanks.
  14. B

Atom 3D Using Laptop Trackpad

I have the same question as Ivan. I have quite successfully used Autodesk Fusion 360 for freelance work for the last five years on a Macbook Pro using the trackpad exclusively. It is definitely different than using a mouse with a desktop computer, but it is nice to have the flexibility to use...