What's new

Search results

1. M

Moving, rotating a part created in an assembly

As a current user of NX and Solidworks to design molds as well as Alibre Expert for hobbies, I understand how inter part relationships can be frustrating. When NX first acquired solid modeling with promotions (wave linking now), it was extremely easy to create circular references. The link below...
  2. M

Re-Usable geometry

Had a chance to play with boolean add some more, and this workflow seems to be best for what I'm trying to accomplish. 1. Created an assembly with both sides of the bayonet in a base configuration. 2. Opened the file for the tool side connection and did a boolean add of the require bayonet...
  3. M

Re-Usable geometry

Thank you for clarifying, I'm very impressed with both the software and the forum. Sometimes it seems people are not as appreciative as they should be.
  4. M

Re-Usable geometry

@DavidJ , are you saying then, that having both files in an assembly is bad?
  5. M

Re-Usable geometry

Thanks @NateLiquidGravity , a combination of configurations and boolean unite features is going to help standardize and control designs like I didn't think possible. Every time I learn something new in AD the more impressive the software gets and the quick responses on this forum saved a lot of...
  6. M

Re-Usable geometry

Hey Nate, thanks for the reply. Boolean's are something I thought of shortly after hitting post. I've played with them but haven't had a real world use for them yet, but it sounds like this will be the perfect chance as I have time this weekend. Are there any caveats with using them as far as...
  7. M

Re-Usable geometry

This may take a little explaining so apologies first. Real world projects are best for learning so I've been using AD Expert to design dust collection adapters for my wood shop stationary equipment. Now I want to move onto the portable and hand held tools and want to develop a bayonet adapter...
  8. M

exporting separate stl files of configurations

Thanks for the links stepalibre, as stated I haven't stepped into scripting yet but your help will change that. Having a ball with configurations and global parameters, scripting will be icing on the cake.
  9. M

exporting separate stl files of configurations

Love AD Expert, use it for a ton of projects at home. One thing I'm not sure is even possible, is there a way to automate export of stl files of different configurations in a part file? Right now the process is the set the configuration active then manually change the name when exporting the...
  10. M

Project to Sketch Usage

I use both p2s figure and reference always with associativity. I find full parametric relations a great bonus in design iterations where design, build and test may go through many cycles,
  11. M

Learning from history

My cad journey started out with Autocad 2.6 on ms dos 2.3 using a 286 computer from Compaq. Last Autocad version was 9 (I think) on windows 3.1. Self taught lisp programming was lots of fun, writing an ordinate dimension program before they offered the option, then wrote an automatic screw...
  12. M

freelance work

Getting ready to do some freelance work for the first time and looking for advice on things like terms and payment methods, and most importantly, traps and things to watch out for. More than forty years of plastic mold design experience, both injection and blow, would be my expertise. I've done...
  13. M

Alibre under Linux?

With all due respect to those who say linux is not a serious cad OS, we went from running NX on Sun Sparc to less expensive x86 hardware with cheap gaming cards without issues. In fact I would have up to eight or nine sessions open with different projects without slowdowns or memory leaks, which...
  14. M

InterDesign Relations should not mess up Constraints!

Somewhat new to AD, could you explain how InterDesign Relations screw up Constraints? One feature enhancement I'd like to see added to constraints is to have the option to automatically have the default planes constrain to each other. tia
  15. M

Plasticity 3d - The new kid in the block

Reading some of the authors posts from I think close to a year ago, because of the sanctions on Russia he no longer had access to the kernel developers (legally) and was looking to move it to the Acis or Parasolid kernels. His comment was it was easier to port to Parasolid and it was more...
  16. M

When did you start using the best cad system in the world?

I had a version of Geomagic I think around 2009 but didn't have time to use it, then in 2022 obtained AD Expert and love it.
  17. M

Assembly Group & Rearrange Parts In Assembly Tree

I would like to see, when deleting an assembly group, the "option" to delete the contents or leave them. Haven't had a chance to download v27 yet so no chance to play yet and don't know what the options are.
  18. M

Redefining the plane a sketch is attached to

Solidworks uses the parasolid kernel, AD the acis kernel. One of the reasons AD is more affordable is the acis kernel is less expensive. The capabilities are also different, meaning not everything possible in one is possible in the other, and these differences force a different thought process...
  19. M

Aligned Centre hole marks

Sorry for the thread getting hijacked. I remember the SDRC acquisition, they said SDRC was going to remain a separate entity, we know how that all turned out. Anyway, it was UG at the time, wanted the sketcher, it was a good move for them.
  20. M

Aligned Centre hole marks

The ribbon change didn't bother me, nor menu changes, that's just part of the upgrade game, adapt or complain. Guess I look at cad differently than most people, starting out before solid modeling may have had an influence, you either found a way to get it done or didn't, I mostly did or tried...