What's new

Search results

1. Q

NURBS export

I just wish that you could export to common NURBS formats such as .3dm. I have some commercial modeling work coming up, and the client's rapid prototyping process can deal directly with .3dm NURBS files. I would have liked to have used Alibre for the job, but it cannot export to this file type...
  2. Q

Utility of Alibre Pro CNC add-ons?

Re: PRICE Yeah, I just checked: Expert is $3,200. For that price I think I would go ahead and shell out the extra $800 for the continuous rotary machining ability that VM has in addition to indexing. (Useful for making spoked wheels and...
  3. Q

Re: That sounds good. Does it have full 3D and 4D indexing capabilities? That might make the difference for me, price aside.
  4. Q

Just something I thought I should mention, I was looking around on the Mecsoft website and discovered that the VM basic is $1,000, but has limited 3D and 4 axis milling capabilities. If you want full 3D functionality and 4th axis indexing/rotary ability, you have to buy the regular VM for...
  5. Q

LightWave Studios downloads

I do not like the Alibre photo-renderer, I find it has very limited capabilities and crashes a lot. If you are willing to take the time to learn to use it, I believe an open source program called Blender is a much better option. Remember, open source and free does not mean poor quality...
  6. Q

Alibre, CAM & Sherline mills

I am having the exact same problem. Mike, Sherline sells the CNC part of the software for $20 (open source), no need to spend $150 on the Mach3. I'm sure both of us would greatly appreciate a cheap/free CAM program that converts .STL into g-code. I'm glad this thread came up, I've also just...
  7. Q

Threads

Actually, the rotating part is easy. Just confine the plug to the z-axis, grab the part, then move the mouse in a circle around the z-axis. (Just like in the simple assembly tut). The hard part is getting the threads to align in such a way that they don't interact...
  8. Q

Threads

So I couldn't just put an align constraint on one face from each helix and constrain the whole plug to the z axis?
  9. Q

Threads

Thanks rbrian, I think that's what I needed! :D One more quick question: how would I constrain two mating threaded parts so that the threads don't interact, but I can still "unscrew" the plug by rotating it about the z axis?
  10. Q

Threads

Re: Threads - with Taper Yep, that's what I'm trying to figure out. :? Here's a JPEG of the part of the model in question since you can't open the .stp
  11. Q

Alibre user geographic locations

Maybe someone could start an Alibre group map on http://www.frappr.com/
  12. Q

Threads

Threads Hi everyone, this is my first post, and I was just having a little trouble with a model I'm trying to make. What I'm trying to do is get the end of a helical boss to taper like in the attached picture, instead of being a flat face. I...