What's new

Search results

1. W

Draftsight no longer free

I just gave this a try. It is a good looking software, but when I tried opening a few of our facility floor plans with DoubleCAD, it just crashed. It seems to be able to open up smaller DWG drawings, however.
  2. W

Draftsight no longer free

I don't know if anyone else besides me has been using the AutoCad-like Draftsight for 2D work, but you may be interested to know that it is no longer free. We have been using Draftsight at my workplace mostly for working with legacy AutoCad drawings, and found this out when we were trying to...
  3. W

Over defined constraint - 2 constraints 2 holes 2 pieces

When mating two parts with corresponding holes, I think that it is a bad practice to use concentric constraints on two pairs of holes. I not only believe that this is a bad practice in Alibre, but in 3D CAD systems in general, including SolidWorks. The way that I mate two parts with...
  4. W

Comparable commands in Solidworks

SolidWorks can save to the 3D PDF format. If have a SolidWorks file open, simply go to 'Save As' and select 'Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF)'. When you make that selection, there will be a check-box that reads 'Save as 3D PDF'. This is shown here...
  5. W

New Lifeless Alibre Logo

If it means anything to anyone, Alibre is not alone in having their logo 'washed out' into something bland by 3D Systems: http://www.deelip.com/?p=6545
  6. W

Liberal licensing... (eye roll)

I find myself wondering what Alibre's new owners, 3D Systems, would feel about Alibre software allowing five concurrent installations per license. I have a suspicion that they would not 'warm up' to this idea.
  7. W

Liberal licensing... (eye roll)

With this plan, the blood-sucking software companies could really become blood-sucking software companies.
  8. W

$299 maintenance was nice while it lasted

I notice now that on the page that Miles links to, if maintenance is expired on Expert, it will cost $499 to get back on (instead of the 'new normal' $399 price). (Of course, this impies that if you pay for 'expired' maintenance every 20 months, you will [theoretically] be back to the 'old...
  9. W

If what you say is true, and if you let it lapse for 4 months instead of 3, you will be back to the 'old price'. :D
  10. W

3D Printing and Alibre bundle.

I have to tip my hat to Alibre and 3D Systems for putting these deals together. I think especially if someone has a small casting shop, the deal where you can get Alibre Professional and a larger 3D printer for $4,999 sounds like it could be a really good deal. The ability to turn 3D models...
  11. W

3D Printing and Alibre bundle.

I can't say that I was planning to buy my own 3d printer, but if I were, I would look at this deal. Apparently, you will be able to buy a 3D printer with a copy of Alibre PE for $1500. wfpelletier
  12. W

Alibre billboard?

If this billboard does nothing else, it will probably get Alibre some strange phone calls.
  13. W

Alibre billboard?

Alibre marketing seems to have taken a strange turn. This is from http://www.deelip.com/?p=5941. wfpelletier
  14. W

It frankly makes me kind of sick that companies like SolidWorks and Alibre charge customers 'maintenance' for bug fixes to their software. I am one of those nutjobs that thinks that bug fixes (but not true upgrades) for a particular version of software should be provided to all users, whether...
  15. W

These are great questions. I use Alibre as a hobbyist, not in a business, even though I have the 'Expert' version. I use it to design woodworking projects, home-made bicycles, and stuff like that. What went through my mind every year before I wrote that $299 check to Alibre were thoughts of...
  16. W

I'm glad you mentioned this, Miles. (I thought I would be polite this time and let it go.) Oh well, life goes on.... wfpelletier
  17. W

I'm pretty sure this means that if you buy maintenance before May 1st, you can buy it at the current price. Any maintenance you buy after May 1st. will be at the new price. I am certain that you cannot 'lock in' at the current price. However, if you want to and if you can afford it (which I...
  18. W

Deelip Menezes has posted an interesting commentary about this on his blog. wfpelletier
  19. W

From an email I just received from Alibre: "The new pricing will go into effect May 1, 2011. We wanted to inform our customers, and those who may still be evaluating our software, ahead of time so they could plan accordingly. Until May 1st, anyone may purchase any Alibre software and...
  20. W

KOMPAS - 3D - High end MCad

This is an intersting offer. Is KOMPAS essentially telling you that 'We will sell you our software at a big discount, but only if you agree to not use Alibre"? Hmm... I have no direct experience or knowledge of KOMPAS, but I did notice that Deelip Menezes has several articles about the...