What's new

Search results

1. B

Roll Call

My name is Bob. I once forgot my user name here. :oops: I am a hobbyist user and won my first pro license. Bob, user name, Bob
  2. B

Design Challenge: Escher Möbius Strip II

Added a few more holes than Miles did, his are less cartoonish though. :D Bob
  3. B

Design Challenge: Escher Möbius Strip II

Here's mine, made with a couple versions back. I need to work on the holes, I guess. :oops: Bob
  4. B

Question?

Thanks for the replies. I'll first have to find out what they want. The potential client makes stitch and glue plywood boats for his customers and I'm pretty confident that I can model his boat. It is what I've messed with the most. I will be honest with them about...
  5. B

Question?

I posted this image on another forum in response to a comment denigrating CAD programs for modeling small boats due to the learning curve. I also replied that if the computer modeling is a hobby then, so what? In any case I received a PM reply ask me if I would be interested in doing a similar...
  6. B

Shrinking a Shell

Do a boolean subtract, Put the two parts together and then subtract the outer one from the inner one. Bob
  7. B

Can you help me find a solution to this one?

Zoom in on the ends of your spline sketch and make sure that it goes all of the way to both surfaces. Bob
  8. B

Grey screen in workspace

Two things have worked on my older computer (which is well below the Alibre recommended minimum standards). 1) Change from 24 to 16 bit color. (On your computer.) 2) Open Alibre, go to tools>options>display and disable "Advanced 2D Rendering". When I upgraded to Alibre 10.1 I had to do both...
  9. B

Alibre 1000 Club

I told ya-- There isn't even a 500 club now. The minimum will be four thousand by the time I get to one. :( If you get your German posts, then I get my Xpress ones. :D Bob
  10. B

Alibre 1000 Club

Woo Hoo! Something to shoot for. I'm almost 25% of the way there. By the time I make it, it will be the 4,000 Club. :( Bob
  11. B

Newbie Alibre User Considering Investing

Great, another limey......er...........Wonderful, another Brit..............er..............., It is nice to have a new member on the forums from the UK. Welcome, Miles.......er........Great, another Miles........er.......Wonderful, another Miles..............er..........Miles must be a popular...
  12. B

Loft Problem - inconsistant variable errors

Thanks, Miles. I got to thinking about how Ed could add plank seams to his ship model. It depends on how anal, ..........er.........rather, into detail he is about his model. We have also had some questions about putting lettering or logos on an irregular surface too. I think that this...
  13. B

All of this talking about splines some how caused me to think about an old problem that was tossed into the forums. A search on "worm" and "trail" found nothing. I cannot remember if a solution was ever posted so I gave it a shot. I created the irregular surface with a three sketch loft. I...
  14. B

Nate- Devious minds think alike. It is easy to explain what you did. You created a two dimensional sketch (on one plane) whilst in 3D mode. You used this 3D sketch as a path for an extrude sweep. From the resulting extrusion you can enter 2D and use "project to sketch", voila, you have...
  15. B

Ed- No, Each spline may have any number of spline points, however, the more similar the lofted sketches are to each other the beter they seem to loft. Nate- Yes, I have done splines that way as in the picture above. The point is you cannot add a spline point and move it without displacing...
  16. B

Miles and Nate- OK, OK, OK. It is not a straight line but it is close enough for government work. In wood working most measure to within about a 32nd of an inch. In milling to much much tighter tolerances. In wooden boat building, it is said that you measure to the nearest boat. I have...
  17. B

I figured out spline tangency on my first real project and it has been written about in the forums by others. If you have four consecutive spline points lined up straight, the section between the middle two of the four will remain a straight line no mater where the spline points are before the...
  18. B

Intersecting Extrusions Question

I got home from work and used the method that I described above to do this intersection of two star shaped extrusions. Bob P.S.- It kind of looks like it would make a good kid's table, does it not?
  19. B

Intersecting Extrusions Question

The way I do this is- 1) Make the first extrusion. 2) a) Sketch the second extrusion. 2) b) On the same sketch, draw a large box or circle around this sketch so that it encompasses the entire thing and the entire first extrusion. 3) Do an extrude cut with...
  20. B

I was also able to get it to go by redrawing the aft section so that it has two straight sections and one spline like the other sections. I also left out section 3 because it does not line up as well as the others and not because it would not work in a loft. Bob