What's new

Search results

1. D

Placing gears PD tangent

The pitch dia of the two gears in mesh together should be added together and then divided by 2 which is the center distance between said gears. This should be equivalent to making the two PCs tangent to each other.
  2. D

GM Version 16?

One question; If maintenance lapses, is there NO more support? While the software may be perpetual, computers are not and without support or a $200 dongle(when replacing a computer), neither is the software. My maintenance lapsed last Oct. and now I have a perpetual license which expires in...
  3. D

GM Version 16?

Thank you Michael for your replys as they clear up a lot of questions but are easily missed by being on pages 11 & 12 of an existing thread. The year and version # used to be the same but somebody at Alibre was superstitious about 13 and went to version # 14 and now the year and version is...
  4. D

Best way to generate gears in Alibre Design Expert ?

I read in a book that the teeth of an external gear point away from the center while they point to the center on an internal gear. It may just be my opinion but I believe the tooth FORM of an internal gear should look more like the tooth SPACE on the matching external gear. Jim
  5. D

Getting started with Dynamics

A few questions; Does this then mean that a motion file created in Dynamics cannot be saved in a GD file without reimporting? Has anybody seen enough of Dynamics to form an opinion that it will live up to all the hype? Just looking at the manual, it appears redundant constraints may be a...
  6. D

2013 release ?

According to today's Alibre newsletter(2/1/2013, support for XT is being phased out. I really appreciate you throwing my laptop in the shizzle can.
  7. D

Did I break Alibre?

If it's permissibly, I need to show my ignorance here. Just what the hell is Visual Studio and why do I need it? As best I can tell it is a programing environment, but I have no programing languages on my computer and wouldn't know how to use them if I did. It appears to be more of a file...
  8. D

Motion

Thank you Ryan for the response. For what it is worth, my sales rep contacted me 4 days after the incident(renewal) and he was completely unaware of the incident. He said he fixed it but it still wouldn't work. Shortly, after a note to support, I received a call from Brian who fixed it in a...
  9. D

Motion

After doing some house keeping, re-upgrading windows 7 ultimate (a complimentary version(which is another story)) and then getting McAfee to work again (very frustrating time), I emailed an inquiry to Ryan about motion 2 beta on the 18th. I guess a no response is a pretty firm NO. Meanwhile in...
  10. D

Motion

How is it looking so far? (opinion)
  11. D

Z-Axis to top

65 years ago, when the teacher put the big + sign on the 2D blackboard, you couldn't see the Z axis and that's where it ought to be. As far as machines are concerned, it is my opinion that the Z axis should be as viewed through the C/L of the spindle (axis of rotation) of the machine you are...
  12. D

Hole Misalign Problem

If you drew one part(plate) complete with holes and grooves and then used that part twice in this assembly, then one is turned backwards to the other. If everything (holes) are completely symmetrical ( same values for both X and Y coordinates) about the X - Y axis on the original part, then it...
  13. D

Hole Misalign Problem

WAG, try turning ONE of the side plates around so that the other side of the plate is constrained to the middle section.
  14. D

December newsletter

The fact that Solid Works is also selling 3D Systems products makes me wonder if they also bought Solid Works, if not then it creates an illusion that 3D systems is sleeping with the enemy. :?:
  15. D

December newsletter

I get far more Email from Solid Works (2 or 3 or more a month) than I do from Alibre and I've never given them a penny. It would seem that they want me to buy something from them, but little do they know that I am 78, living off SS and am only using Alibre to ward off Alzheimers ( although...
  16. D

Problem with color properties in assemblies

If you are seeing that option, then just left click on the original color button and if the original part color is different than the assembly color, then it should change. ( I think)
  17. D

Liberal licensing... (eye roll)

Are you saying that a year of maint will go sour after a week? :mrgreen: How about if you put it in the freezer, will it keep longer?
  18. D

Suppose we take a hypothetical look down another road. Suppose I have prepaid for a year of maintenance which I am not into yet and I croake before it becomes effective and am no longer able to use it (nobody else uses it either), will you refund my money for that unused year? :mrgreen:
  19. D

I recently lost AD (not an uninstall) and had to get a new key for my desktop. Support told me I needed a new key as my old one was no longer valid and now my new key no longer matches the name of my computer. I guess that is not necessary as it works. I also have a key for my laptop and that...
  20. D

Gears

Gearing is a rather complex subject and as such this forum is no place for trying to teach it. Most people just import the drawings for the gear/s they need from a gear manufacturer. A little knowledge of the subject is very helpful if you are trying to design a gear train. Alibre is fully...