What's new

Search results

1. M

Info about FEM designer?

Hello. Its been a long time since I logged in here! Reason being there was a corporate decision wen we were bought out meaning we had to use solidworks. Anyway... I was looking at FEM designer on "tint hair net", but its left me wondering: Does FEM designer exist at the moment as a stand alone...
  2. M

Plastic mouldings and static

Plastic mouldings and static hi guys I'm on the lookout for info on plastic moulding materials- (thats molding if you are in the USA). I need to use a nylon material for my moulding and I need it to dissipate static charge build up (it is supporting a ceramic...
  3. M

help with a file translation?

help with a file translation? I have a dumb step file that opens fine in alibre v9. I need to get this file into a 3D dxf, or a .CAD format (whatever .CAD is!?). Maybe someone here can help translate it into a 3D DXF? Thanks in anticipation!
  4. M

Exploded views - help!?

Exploded views - help!? I create an exploded view of an assembly. I select a part in the explorer window. Now I'm supposed to get some relative axes appear but I do not. I can drag the part but nott in any particular direction, it ends up moving in any...
  5. M

Express import capability

Express import capability I'm just about to get a supplier to install Xpress so they can look at a step file of mine. I know that alibre and alibre xpress will now be out of synch, so xpress won't currently open 9.2 files. But I will export a step and they...
  6. M

static disspative plastic molding materials

static disspative plastic molding materials Hi guys Not been lurking here as much lately, been busy busy busy. I've got a new plastic molded product on the go, and I need it to have static dissipative properties. Basically the molding carries some ceramic guides on which...
  7. M

Festive greetings

Festive greetings Best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low stress, non-addictive, gender neutral, winter solstice holiday (or summer solstice if you are southern hemisphere resident), practiced within the most joyous...
  8. M

Flexible PCB

Flexible PCB I'm working on sometihng that uses a flexible PCB. I had hopes ot use sheetmetal to design the folded shape of the pcb and then unfold it produce a flat pattern. This sort of works, but I wanted to have an assembly with the...
  9. M

off topic, email and eml files

off topic, email and eml files Maybe someone more clued up about this than me is loitering here? sometimes I get emails with messages that have been forwarded as attachements. The attched messages are .eml files. The problem is that outlook express does not...
  10. M

american std steel vs european

american std steel vs european I don't normally get into stress anaysis, but I need to do some calcs on this part I'm looking at now. However, the choice of materials in Algor doesn't mean a lot to me. Can anyone point me to close equivalents that do appear in...
  11. M

ADX as a viewer etc.

ADX as a viewer etc. Isn't is great that Alibre has alibre xpress avaiable free, so that you can send your work to anyone who can then install xpress and open or even modify your work. Only drawback is that it is only possible when the two versions are...
  12. M

zip your 3D pdfs!

zip your 3D pdfs! Currently 3D PDF files are a bit large (adobe acrobat 7). I found std windows zip utility compresses them between 75% and 98%. Seems Adobe missed something there and files will be smaller in v8 so I hear.
  13. M

Greg spills the beans

Greg spills the beans I trust you have all read about Alibre's master plan in Grabowski's excellent weekly ezine thismorning? http://www.upfrontezine.com
  14. M

economic rapid prototype plastic parts

economic rapid prototype plastic parts I need an economic solution for 1-2 off parts fdor assembly checking before laying down a plastic moulding tool. Part is about 2" by 1.25" x 0.5", a two part enclosure. I guess this sort of thing could be made anywhere on the planet...
  15. M

poor man's sheet metal?

poor man's sheet metal? Here's an interesting little porgram for paper and cardbord engineers and those with a black belt in origami: http://www.tamasoft.co.jp/pepakura-en/ Accepts various surface based 3D files. Next task - get the alibre 3D info into it!
  16. M

insert plane - midplane

insert plane - midplane 1.Select two parallel faces/planes and insert a new plane mid way between them. Plane updates to remain mid way between. 2.If planes/sufaces are non parallel, then new plane could be the mid plane through the line of intersection of...
  17. M

2D drawing wants

2D drawing wants There are some things I'm finding hard to do in 2D drawings which maybe I just didn't find! The workrounds involve drawing lots of fiddly little sketch lines...and probably risk of not updating with part edits. 1. Dimension to...
  18. M

Hole depth "to next"

Hole depth "to next" Currently you can choose from "blind", "through all", and "to limit geometry". You have to select the limit geometry, such as the face where the hole stops. I would like to see an option of "to next face" - ie the hole will go through the first...
  19. M

v9.1 publish to pdf?

v9.1 publish to pdf? I get nowhere with this. I have an assembly open I publish to pdf Follow instructions of which there are very few steps peview produces nothing publish results in the error: "an internel exception occurred during publishing"...
  20. M

recent file list shows types!

recent file list shows types! At last in v9.1 the recent file list has the file type added at the end! For those who give their drawing the same name as their part like me!