What's new

Search results

1. L

Sketching in Assembly

Thanks Miles, I created some planes based on the skeleton sketch and constrained the reference geometry of a part to them. It's a bit cumbersome way to do it but it worked. Then another problem showed itself. When I tried to activate the part to generate solid geometry by "Edit Here", all...
  2. L

Sketching in Assembly

Yes, I know I can sketch within an active part, but I want to control the parts by a framework in the assembly itself. I have tried to do it with a pseudo "skeleton" part which I can sketch in, but then there appears to be a limitation whereby I can't pick sketch points to create reference...
  3. L

Sketching in Assembly

This has probably been discussed here before, but I can't seem to activate a 2D sketch in assembly mode. I can select a plane but there is no option to activate a sketch. I need to create reference geometry in an assembly based on a sketch so that the assembly is driven by the sketch. It's...
  4. L

2012 2D sketch mirror input

Thanks Ralf, It still works the same for me, however, now my toolbars are gone. I will have to find out how to restore them. Len <><
  5. L

Hi, I did some experiments and found that it only occurs when the mirror function is started from the toolbar button without any figures preselected. As seen in the screenshot, the Figures to Mirror box is blue, but no figures can be selected until the axis is picked. It's not a serious bug...
  6. L

I noticed some strange behaviour in the mirror input dialog for 2D sketches. Usually, if a field is highlighted in blue, AD is ready to accept input in that area. In AD 2012 the mirror dialog will not allow any sketch figures to be selected to be mirrored until the mirror centerline is picked...
  7. L

How many single-license Alibre owners use the Vault?

I tried the vault for a while, but found it confusing to set up. I guess I'm not a trained net administrator so I couldn't understand the terminology. Then I found it cumbersome to use because extra manual steps were required just to enter properties each file to relate it to a project so I...
  8. L

getting diameter dimention on sketch

I usually mirror the lines and change them to "Construction". Then I can dimension a diameter between them. Len <><
  9. L

Duplicating models and drawings

I duplicated an assembly of about 50 parts which are scattered across several folders. I only needed to create 4 new parts in the assembly and keep the other ones original. In the Save All As window, there is a column labled: "Save Action" and each item is designated "NEW". I couldn't find a...
  10. L

Thanks for the answer, guys. I knew there must be a simple solution. Len <><
  11. L

Hi, How can I duplicate a part or assembly along with a drawing of it? I want to be able to make minor changes to a copy without completely re-doing the drawing. Len
  12. L

Unfolde Perimeter

Perhaps the new Solid to Sheetmetal function could be used to accomplish this. Len <><
  13. L

V2011 Print Black and White - Fixed in latest build

Re: V2011 Print Black and White It seems to work fine for me. I'm on 32 bit Expert 2011, Windows XP. By the way, why is the "Upgrade to 2011" button still on the home window after upgrading? Len <><
  14. L

AD vs. "brand" names (broad perspective, not comparison)

We use Pro/E at my day job of designing large fabricated assemblies. I use Alibre Design at home for my personal projects and consulting design and drafting. I like using both: Alibre is easier to learn and Pro/E is more stable. I find one of Alibre's biggest limitations is performance in...
  15. L

Partial Sections

I would like to have the capability of editing the section line in the parent view. Sometimes a design change causes the section view to be ruined and the only alternative is to recreate the view with all its dimensions and annotations. Len
  16. L

v12 cartoonish model?

I like the new lighting appearance. In 11.2 and earlier, sometimes areas of the model appeared too dark to distinguish features or parts easily. The default scheme looks great to me. I also like the edges displayed but that seems to be a personal preference. The best solution would be to...
  17. L

Alibre files became Empty Folders

Well, after contacting Motive Systems (M-Files), I have learned that my Alibre files are lost. Apparently it is critical that everything be checked into the vault when upgrading. I was under the misunderstanding that files were automatically stored in the vault when saved but they are cached...
  18. L

OK, thank you. I intend to post any more information about this back to the forum. Len <><
  19. L

Here are some more shots of the properties. I have made support requests on this matter with both Alibre and M-Files but have not received a reply yet. Unfortunately, I don't have any back-ups. I looked for a way to backup the M-Files but could not find out how to do it. The files are not...
  20. L

Here are shots of some M-Files windows. I can open one of the drawings of a part that I can't access. Yet the part data must exist somewhere to display in the drawing. Len