What's new

Search results

1. J

Viewing Alibre models on Android

Ashraf, I un-installed the side-loaded apk version, and re-installed from the Play store, which recognised that it was compatible with both the Nexus 4 and Nexus 7. Both of my Nexuses (Nexi?) are 8 GB versions, running the latest stock 4.2.1. (As un-rooted, stock Nexus devices, these are really...
  2. J

I'm sure not clever enough (or patient enough!) to do this myself - I got the model from here: http://www.raspberrypiforums.com/forum/ ... ard-Render Hope this helps! (Have you done anything cool with your Pi yet?)
  3. J

Ashraf, It's better, but it's not quite "fixed". Load time seems faster, but when I load a new model, it displays the new model name in the status bar, but still shows the previous model in the graphic display. (See first screenshot below.) If I exit and restart the application, it seems to...
  4. J

Ashraf, Both of my devices (Nexus 4 & Nexus 7) are current generation devices, with multi-core processors and plenty of RAM (1 GB in the N7, 2 GB in the N4), so should have plenty of “grunt” to be able to run the application smoothly, and both are running the very latest pure Android 4.2.1 (no...
  5. J

Also works on LG Nexus 4 - running stock Android 4.2.1. Similar results to the Nexus 7 - occasional crashes, slow / erratic loading of files, needs some "polish" to make it more stable before it is really ready for general release. However, it works fine once a model has finally been loaded...
  6. J

OK - I realise this is early "Beta" software (which is why I guess you are posting here rather than on the Google Play store!), and you are seeking end-user feedback. On my Nexus 7, models seem to be slow / unreliable to load. E.g. sometimes I will see a blank screen, but the status bar shows...
  7. J

Installed fine on Asus Nexus 7, running stock Android 4.2.1. Now I just need to have a play with it. It seems to load models quite slowly - is this normal, or am I doing something wrong? I have exported a model that I created in Alibre and rendered / textured in SimLab Animator 2.4. (And I...
  8. J

FEA - Lisa, Z88 Aurora or FEM Designer?

Not necessarily. "Thin walled" simply means a structure whose thickness is small compared to the other characteristic dimensions. Pressure vessels, slabs, welded steel plate structures etc are all "thin walled", but they are generally best modelled as "plate" structures, NOT as "membrane"...
  9. J

Z88 Aurora V2 release

I was the person who recommended the book to Seb, and I can't recommend it highly enough for beginners or experienced users. It contains a little bit of FEA theory (enough to get you started), but the emphasis is on "practical FEA" for product design, and the principles of good FEA modelling...
  10. J

Z88 Aurora V2 release

dammerel, Post a model if you like, and I'll take a look - I have no problems auto-meshing valid STEP models directly in Lisa.
  11. J

Experiance with Rapman 3D printer

All good points - but if you are buying a ready-made 3D printer, make sure you are dealing with a supplier who REALLY provides a complete product (whether fully-assembled, or as a kit), and who REALLY provides support. There are some horror stories with some vendors on the RepRap forums...
  12. J

Experiance with Rapman 3D printer

No experience with a "RapMan" http://www.rap-man.com.au/Rapman_Aus/Home.html , but you do realise that you can build one (e.g. a Prusa Mendel RepRap http://reprap.org/wiki/Prusa_Mendel ) from scratch for about 1/3 of the price?
  13. J

Lisa - getting started guide

Seb, OK, once we can agree on the actual dimensions of the bar :oops: we can make some good progress! You applied your load as a series of node loads, being 0.0147 N on each of the nodes on the top face. I think there are about 214 nodes on the top face, so you have applied a total load of...
  14. J

That's OK - a few year's ago, I was working as a "Poll Clerk" for the Australian Federal Election (where you check ID and cross people's names off the Electoral Roll when they come in to vote) and almost collapsed with suppressed laughter when a "Mr Smith" (not his real name!) came in to vote. I...
  15. J

Like I said - check your maths: 1) 3 kg.f = 29.4 N, not 24.9 N 2) L^3 = 300^3 is not equal to 8.0E6: Also - can you save the Lisa file as a zip file? I don't have an application to open a "7z" file.
  16. J

Not an accurate statement - even though Lisa can only model single "Parts", not "Assemblies" (i.e. it can't model motion and contact between two or more parts), there are many, many FEA studies you can do with "Single Part" models which use more than one material. This is part of my every day...
  17. J

Seb, I agree that the documentation that comes with Lisa is not necessarily the easiest to navigate, but the information you are after IS there if you know where to look. From the Lisa main menu bar, select "Help | Manual". This should open the HTML Help files that bundle with the software -...
  18. J

Opinions on FEA for home/hobby user

Seb / Bowber, I have used Alibre successfully many times to export STEP models for analysis in a variety of packages, including Strand7, Lisa-Fet, Elmer, and others. (I have not used Z88 recently, though.) I have never encountered the "jaggy edges" problem, but this could just be that my...
  19. J

Print 3D for Alibre Design

Is it just me, or are the parts REALLY expensive to produce? I downloaded the plug in, and created some simple models of cubes (they don't get any simpler than that!) The cubes were 10 mm, 20 mm, 50 mm and 100 mm side. The cheapest material I can find is White SL Accra 25 SLA process - basic...
  20. J

FEMDesigner AD - FEA inside Alibre - now shipping

Re: FEMDesigner AD Now Available +1 on the recommendation for the book by Adams & Askenazi - it's an excellent reference for anyone who is interested in CAD-embedded FEA!