What's new

Search results

1. S

OnShape - new CAD from SW founders?

Interesting perspective. WIth Alibre, and others, are you not paying for a license? Yes, it it does not go away in a year, but do you not have to pay for "maintenance" each year if you want bug fixes? I think characterizing that as 'get to keep' is somewhat misleading. Without an internet...
  2. S

I have to laugh - nothing personal. I just go back a long way in computers. We had the central mainframe, with central management of hardware including disks and their backups. The along came the new better PC, and the mainframes got pushed out of existence (mostly). And slowly, step by step...
  3. S

Yeah that is surprising. Normally the numbers are generation, level - so a 250 would be gen 2, middle, a 450 would be gen 4, middle - almost always newer gens are faster. Current gen is 9, so both are quite old. My card is a 690 - so it too is old, but a high end card in its day. I really dont...
  4. S

I am running a fairly recent computer (and what I would call an old video card). My experiences has been it is as fast if not faster than GM. Your internet connection will affect initial load time, while the model is being transferred to you. After that it is all webGL performance in your...
  5. S

It is beta, expecting everything to be there would be foolish. Download the dwg or dxf file which it supports fine, open in a drawing editor (eg GM) and draw away, if you are really interested in using beta software for production (not wise BTW). I think most of us look at a beta to see what...
  6. S

Since this is a competitors board I will not go into detail. But those who believed it was "For the moment it looks like MBAs (didn't forget any of this years buzzwords) looking to fish for a mailing list." it turns out they are very wrong, very. And again, to me one of the most important...
  7. S

Pretty much true for anything, If you got something somebody actually wants.
  8. S

What's it looking like to you now? I see several funerals for other vendors. I will say I was surprised to see 3DS listed as a strategic partner. But would explain another trend I had seen as well.
  9. S

Question about maintenance

Thanks for the offer. I may take you up on it. I have never heard or seen library functionality in the version of Alibre I have (and yes, I know it has a new name, I just cant remember them all, but I'm running design 2014). I guess that you are discussing more of a technique, than something...
  10. S

I am sorry you feel that the response was combative. I asked a simple question, and received what I saw as a marketing reply avoiding the actual question. You may have made the assumption I was that naive, or you may have been avoiding confirming my suspicion, I have no idea which, nor is it...
  11. S

You know very well what I was asking. The more I think about this workflow is entirely impractical. I have an existing assembly. I want to start a new one. You suggest I bring every old part in and save it as a new part? And that is a requirement to change a standoff from 1/4" to 3/8"? If...
  12. S

That wasn't the question. Of course they fixed things, but I bet it comes out in the next paid only (or on paid maintenance) update. The dodge does speak volumes though. Second, I apologize, I have not read this entire forum. Can you point me to 2 examples were it is mentioned? Ok, now that I...
  13. S

Has anyone ever actually seen a fix issued for a bug reported under maintenance? My personal experience and view from the outside is it is more about giving you a workaround. I can understand that being valuable, but I can usually find them on my own. I am having a problem now where Geo...
  14. S

Geomagic crashes

eh, it did not really last long. An hour later back to constant crashes on thumbnail_viewer code again. Better off just renaming the .dll and dealing with the corruption dialogs.
  15. S

Geomagic crashes

I had this crash. I had a suspicion it was the thumbnail viewer since I had also seen windows explorer crash a few times lately when browsing alibre file directories. So I let the debugger run, and sure enough on the call stack was ad_thumbnail_viewer64.dll I renamed the file. now, when I ran...
  16. S

Transfer alibre license?

hehe. its a little different in the US. its one of those things vendors want you to believe, but seldom really occurs. The question was about transferring a license, and indeed you bought that license - you own it, but not the software. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-sale_doctrine so far...
  17. S

Waste of money - problem fixed!

Re: Wasted of money It's not that simple. Those of you who have been around PCs long enough remember a 640k limit, and yet there were 'memory extenders' that allowed a wopping 1 meg or more to be used. Back then it was trickery, today It has to do with virtual memory and address spaces. Each...
  18. S

Alternative renderers

Sorry about the missing file, glad its working for you guys now. Blender is pretty cool. I have not lost hope that I can get the constraint exports working from alibre to blender making animation a lot easier. This is something I am playing with from Alibre (imported piece by piece from...
  19. S

Alternative renderers

http://www.spiked3.com/ Click through to the alibre plugins, and then the collada exporter. You can export a part or assembly from Alibre design, import as a collada file into blender 2.49. Add lights and tweak materials in a pretty robust modeling and animation environment with a huge online...
  20. S

IronPython

Why the need for professional? http://www.microsoft.com/express/Windows/ free Not to take anything from python - pick whatever platform you are comfortable with.