What's new

Search results

1. T

Stacked section slices?

BTW, having said that, from what I understand, Alibre is far better than most MCAD packages when it comes to preparing drawings. I haven't played with some of the others, so it's just hearsay though!
  2. T

Stacked section slices?

I can work around not having it, but it seems like a mighty useful feature to be able to snap section views to each other, either projecting reference points between sections or to colocate them to overlay section slices for visualization/dimensioning purposes. I use TurboCAD along with Alibre...
  3. T

Stacked section slices?

Right, in the drawing -- is there a way to snap them into alignment somehow? For example, I have three removed sections from device showing the enclosure and the PCB. I can eyeball and roughly align the sections to be at the same X origin -- but I don't think there's a way to precisely do...
  4. T

Stacked section slices?

Is there a way to make stacked sections slices so that the section slices are aligned to each other?
  5. T

How to rename parts within a STP file Assembly

This is what I do -- but the Save As dialog does not maintain the tree order of the assemblies and parts so that it can sometimes get very difficult to figure out what item I am renaming is. I wish there was a way to either do it in the part tree or have some way to otherwise be able to more...
  6. T

Alibre Script - script requests

The AD_GLP approach is a bit sluggish but easier to understand, I think, as there is only one place where values are updated and then the change flows through the design. I've already realized quite the time savings with this. I realized that I had one small feature modeled incorrectly. Fixed...
  7. T

Ok - so what you're suggesting is that the script would walk through all parts/assemblies in the design and update the parameter in every one of them? I think one use case that I had in mind but hadn't described earlier is that I might want to open a design and quickly do a one-off version --...
  8. T

The parts are not created by the script. They are just being modified. My intent is to be able to point the script at any assembly with constituent parts and sub-assemblies to update themselves without having the script have to know explicitly what parameters to modify - that's the reason why...
  9. T

But aren't parameters local to the assembly or the part? You can't have a parameter from a parent assembly drive the part or vice-versa? Isn't that the reason why global parameters exist? Or am I looking at this incorrectly?
  10. T

Multiplying different types equation editor

AFAIAC, I don't mind having separate count and dimension types -- but count being unitless, I feel like I should be able to do N*D and have it be valid. I can explicitly specify an integer like 2*D and it's fine, so why not let a count multiply (or divide) distances?
  11. T

Multiplying different types equation editor

I was playing around with this issue recently and found that a scale value can be derived from a count; and then the scale can be used to multiply distance: I'm not sure that it's necessarily the best way, but it seemed to work for my purposes.
  12. T

Oh, wait, I got it to work by opening the assembly after each parameter update, and then closing it before updating the parameter to the new value and repeating the process. I have to run the script in a different window than the assembly being worked on -- it's a bit different workflow than to...
  13. T

HI @stepalibre - thanks for your response. I did not use the parts library because what I'd like to do is to have a script to just automatically generate the variations instead of having to create explicit entries in a table/spreadsheet. I started to poke around the scripting system and got it...
  14. T

Hi. I would love to use Alibre to generate and export entire family of parts and to name each exported part uniquely. For example, I have this 3.81mm pitch shrouded header socket modeled so that I can define the size and the number of pins through the global parameter file. I modify the values...
  15. T

"Ground"

I get that ground shadows and reflections are cosmetic for viewing -- it seems that when I toggle it on/off, the ground seems to switch depending on the current orientation of the viewing window. I can sort of figure out how to get the reflection/shadow where I want, but is there a formal...
  16. T

Can't select YZ plane from default view orientation

When I want to start a sketch and it asks for the plane, I can highlight the XY plane and XZ plane for picking, as well as the X, Y and Z axes. But the YZ plane cannot be highlighted for picking. It can easily be worked around, of course, by picking the plane in the modeling tree or by slightly...
  17. T

Want some free outsourced manufacturing?

I've submitted an earlier version of this project to the annual contest -- I have been working on a portable radiation detector that uploads reading to the cloud, and the product is reaching the point of coming out of the early prototype phase. It is designed to sit inside a Pelican...
  18. T

v27 extra crashy?

Doing this seems to be a usable compromise -- it's a little sluggish, but far more responsive than the default behavior.
  19. T

v27 extra crashy?

Curiouser and curiouser... If I go to system options and turn on antialiasing, Alibre becomes sluggish as I've mentioned earlier. If I then open NVidia control panel and fiddle with the antialias settings for the Alibre profile, it speeds up quite a bit. Even when I then revert the setting to...
  20. T

v27 extra crashy?

I think it's the antialiasing. I turned them off today and things were much faster even when maximized. Turn antialiasing back on and it was sluggish again.