What's new

Search results

1. T

Geomagic Design™ Expert 2013 crashes

Alas, I cannot get rid of 2013. I let my license expire because of shoddy treatment I was receiving from 3DS. I vowed to never buy another 3DS product again (after having purchased several different ones) so I guess I am now stuck with something that no longer works thanks to some kind of change...
  2. T

Geomagic Design™ Expert 2013 crashes

I changed nothing and now the program "geo" magically crashes after I save any file. Is this 3DS doing their best to give me the bird for not renewing my license?
  3. T

Alibre/Geomagic News

Well the user community shrunk when I switched to SolidWorks. They were running a year end sale with 25% off. It is a bit different than Alibre (sic) and a lot better in many ways. Mainly they have a HUGE user community and hundreds or maybe thousands of YouTube video tutorials, all free of...
  4. T

Feature color bug

You mean there wasn't the capability in the 3D modeling kernel? Does GD use 3D ACIS? ACIS has supported split faces for at least a while but for how long I don't know.
  5. T

Feature color bug

I decided to offset them by .0001" which is less than the resolution of my milling machine and I get the result I want by ensuring that I have different sections of the face to select in CAM. Not a perfect solution but certainly workable. It still seems strange that GD decides to combine faces...
  6. T

Do you use AlibreCAM?

I have used AlibreCAM for quite a while. I am just a hobbiest but I sometimes to light commercial work for the company where I work. It seems to be a case like GM where you pay for years for support thinking you are going to get upgrades but very little results from it. I have reported some...
  7. T

Branding feedback to the Mothership

After being a loyal Alibre customer for 4 years I let my support contract lapse to demonstrate my dissatisfaction with the way 3DS has treated me with AD and the 3D printer I bought from them a couple years ago. The problem with that approach is that 3DS is a big company focused on driving to...
  8. T

Feature color bug

Hmmm, I searched for "Feature color" and did not find mention of it. I only looked back at posts to last year assuming anything of this nature would probably have been fixed in the 2013 update. My bad I guess.
  9. T

Part Modeling Scaling

By George, you've done it! That is the perfect solution. Thanks!
  10. T

Feature color bug

To replicate this problem: Draw a rectangle on the X/Y plane and extrude it in the negative direction. Choose the top of that square and activate 2D sketch. Select Project to sketch and extrude that sketch in the opposite direction. Select the original extrusion, right click and select Feature...
  11. T

Part Modeling Scaling

Tyler, Thanks for the response. I tried to do the equal constraint approach and GM hanged with the spinning cursor. I had to manually kill the process to recover. Since I have so many holes, having to dimension each one is not really an option, at least not a time efficient one. The approach...
  12. T

Part Modeling Scaling

I figured it out. I used "Offset" and used a small increment to make the holes larger. Does exactly what I need. ***Edit: Oops, spoke too soon. Now I have to go back and delete all of the original holes. Yuk.
  13. T

Part Modeling Scaling

I have a drawing with a large linear pattern of holes for the top plate of a vacuum fixture. I need to make a neoprene seal so I did a project to sketch and I want to scale each of the holes with respect to their own origins, effectively making an array of slightly larger holes each centered on...
  14. T

Geomagic or Solidworks

You asked so I will answer. Your response in case you forgot: "Then why are you here? Are you a paid advertiser or is there any other reason you are still using Alibre forum on a software package you no longer use?" Did you not actually read his post? He said that he still uses it...
  15. T

Geomagic or Solidworks

@indesign: I disagree in part with your post. While I have no use for trolls dragging a forum in the completely wrong direction, this forum is entitled "General Discussion" and anyone who comes here looking for help when having problems with the software is in the wrong place. I have a real...
  16. T

Announcing Motion and FEA

I will say it once and not again, 3DS doesn't care and will never care about Alibre's clients. We are a legacy special case that they are stuck with. My other experience on a different 3DS product (already documented in a different thread) is perfectly consistent with this. They are more than...
  17. T

Announcing Motion and FEA

Folks, I have seen this behavior before. I was a director at a Fortune 50 company for many years and the 3DS acquisition of Alibre is all too familiar since my company often did similar things. A large and established company looks for an under-valued "gem" that could be used to complete their...
  18. T

Progress - Motion 2.0

This is a public forum so there is no issue putting whatever they want here. The SEC frowns upon insider trading where information is privately shared to put an individual or limited number of investors (or potential investors) in an advantageous market position. 3DS's lack of sharing...
  19. T

Progress - Motion 2.0

I read on this forum that 3DS couldn't say anything about future products because of SEC regulations. That couldn't be more wrong. The SEC encourages forward looking statements to provide guidance to investors. The fact is 3DS chooses to be not to be open with their product development and...
  20. T

Still no sheet metal to CAM

I realize that it wasn't promised but I still hoped it would somehow make it in. I am not sure how useful it is to be able to design sheet metal parts but have no (simple) way to make them -- whether with water jet, plasma cutter, laser, milling or punch. Somehow you need to get from model to...