What's new

Search results

1. T

Geomagic Design™ Expert 2013 crashes

I changed nothing and now the program "geo" magically crashes after I save any file. Is this 3DS doing their best to give me the bird for not renewing my license?
  2. T

Feature color bug

To replicate this problem: Draw a rectangle on the X/Y plane and extrude it in the negative direction. Choose the top of that square and activate 2D sketch. Select Project to sketch and extrude that sketch in the opposite direction. Select the original extrusion, right click and select Feature...
  3. T

Part Modeling Scaling

I have a drawing with a large linear pattern of holes for the top plate of a vacuum fixture. I need to make a neoprene seal so I did a project to sketch and I want to scale each of the holes with respect to their own origins, effectively making an array of slightly larger holes each centered on...
  4. T

Still no sheet metal to CAM

I realize that it wasn't promised but I still hoped it would somehow make it in. I am not sure how useful it is to be able to design sheet metal parts but have no (simple) way to make them -- whether with water jet, plasma cutter, laser, milling or punch. Somehow you need to get from model to...
  5. T

How to constrain a Boolean?

I make a lot of sheet metal projects with AD and for simplicity in clamping when possible I make the tab symmetrical to the the X and Y axes. On my current project I need to mate a milled part to a sheet metal tab to make a cutout. I use a Boolean Subtract of the other part from the metal tab...
  6. T

Name change for this forum?

Now that AlibreCAM has reverted to its "Ancestral Home" (or so says the Mecsoft website), I was wondering if it wouldn't be more appropriate to call this forum something else. Or pehaps create a new forum where all users of any CAM solution for Alibre Design could be discussed. I made the...
  7. T

Why does setting a co-linear constraint "chain"?

More often than not, when I am setting several co-linear constraints the fact that after I set the first it assumes the next click is intended to set another line co-linear to the first two. I have yet to have a case where that is useful for me. Usually it throws an error message or results in...
  8. T

Preserving Constraints for a Linear Pattern

I have a constrained figure which I use to create a linear pattern. The problem is that there are no constraints on the repeated figure. Am I missing some setting or feature somewhere? I can see that some constraints could conflict with the linear pattern however I would like to be able to have...
  9. T

Motion warning: Extremely low density

I am new to Motion and after a lot of fumbling around (after reading the tutorial) I figured out how to set the material type for each of the parts in my assembly. It is non-intuitive to me to do it from the Design Properties window but that is a different issue for later. Anyway, I set the...
  10. T

Copy and paste to a different plane

I hope this is not as stupid of a question as I fear it may be. I have a sketch on one plane which I want to copy and paste to a different plane. I have fiddled with it for nearly an hour and cannot find a way to do it. I can copy and paste to the same plane but not another plane. I searched the...
  11. T

Can't edit DWG exported from Altium

I have a PCB done in Altium and exported to DWG. I deleted all of the traces and internal structures to end up with an outline that I then copy and paste into an AD part. I can't seem to do anything with the lines when either editing the DWG or when I copy and paste them into a new part - other...
  12. T

Visual Mill 2012 released = Update to AC2.0?

Now that MecSoft has released Visual Mill 2012 will there be a corresponding update to AlibreCAM 2.0? I just updated from AC 2.0 Basic to Standard. I was debating whether to go Visual Mill 6.0 because it is functionally identical to AC 2.0 Standard and even though I could have saved $100 by...
  13. T

No "Save As..." in default File toolbar

Unless I am missing something obvious in 2012 there is no "Save As..." choice (at least in a sheet metal design). I opened an existing part made a change and then intended to save it as the next revision so I clicked on the "diskette" symbol and it dutifully overwrote my existing design :( I...
  14. T

How to mill sheet metal with AlibreCAM Basic

I am a user of Alibre Design Expert which includes AlibreCam (AC) Basic and have been using it for a while to mill aluminum chassis. I thought since I had trouble getting to the point where I could cut out my parts using AC that I would document it here jic there are others like me. I have a...
  15. T

Move part to origin?

I found an old (i.e. 2007) post asking about moving a part to the origin. I want to relate a particular vertex to 0,0,0. Is there a way to do it in AD 2011? I can't find anything in the help file that suggests it is possible. It seems that it should be a simple thing to do programmatically.
  16. T

MOI Extrusion Import Problem

I don't know whether this is an MOI problem or an AD problem so I am going to post it in both forums. I have the attached extrusion created by importing a PNG then doing and extrusion and exporting it to STP format. When I try to import it into AD I get the error message: "File was not imported...
  17. T

Trouble importing MOI extrusion

I don't know whether this is an MOI problem or an AD problem so I am going to post it in both forums. I have the attached extrusion created by importing a PNG then doing and extrusion and exporting it to STP format. When I try to import it into AD I get the error message: "File was not imported...
  18. T

Symmetric about the origin

How do you constrain objects so that they are symmetric about the origin? Suppose I have two rectangles that are fully dimensioned and dimensioned with respect to one another. Alibre says says in DOF that their position is undefined which for the moment is correct. The only other thing I know is...
  19. T

Dimension from center of rectangle?

Pretty simple really but can't an example in the user's manual or in a tutorial. Everything I have tried thus far has failed. I have a rectangle drawn by three points and I need to dimension its center to the center of another rectangle. I placed reference lines in the center points of each...
  20. T

Newbie question: Rotate Rectangle

I have been using draw programs like CorelDraw for many years and while I know some of the core concepts of 3D modeling are different, sometimes when I try to use Alibre I feel completely inept. I can't seem to do the most simple of things. For example: I start a new part, activate 2D drawing...