What's new

Search results

1. V

How to create output suitable to CNC mill

I've ordered one of those low cost Chinese milling machines to work on plastic enclosures. I want to use this to machine the cutouts for LCD's, sockets and buttons etc. Is there any way to export from Geomagic/Alibre Design and generate the G-CODE needed by the milling machine (running Mach3) ...
  2. V

Perspective view in drawing. Possible?

I have a 2D drawing and I want to show a 3D view that is drawn from a custom view orientation. See attached. The trouble is that in the assembly for this, I selected perspective to remove the distortion that orthographic view causes but this does not translate to the 2D drawing and it looks...
  3. V

Step file import error

Hi all, I have a couple of simple small STEP files from the Hoffman website that won't load. The other step files I have managed to load without issues. These 2 load with FreeCAD but there is no export option. Would anyone with STEP experience care to have a look for me? Thanks. Dave...
  4. V

Possible bug in sketch filleting tool

Hi All, I seem to get this happening quite often when I use the fillet sketch tool. Take a look at the attached part. You will need to edit the sketch to see it. The fillet tool was set for 5mm and yet the lower right one is greater than this. I have dimensioned each one to see the problem...
  5. V

How do I constrain this assembly

Hi all, I have no issues with constraining designs that are perpendicular sides but the attached assembly has drafted sides and I can't find any way to do this. The 3 parts are imports from Hammond Manufacturing and I want to anchor the flange base and constrain the box to it. Face to Face...
  6. V

Loading an assembly takes a long time before I can work on

When I load an assembly, it takes some time before I can edit it. I can zoom in and out and rotate it but all the menu options are grayed out. All the contraints are also shown as italic. I am running Version 2011 and this is a small part with only 4 parts. Closing down and reloading the...
  7. V

How to apply hole alignment contraints

Hi all, I am trying to align a part with holes to an existing part that was imported as a STEP file. In the attached image, the green part I have made with a hole (actually 4 of them) and I am trying to align with the boss shown (a PCB in an enclosure). The green part is already mated with the...
  8. V

Importing STEP colour

How can I get Alibre to import a STEP model in colour. The attached model imports in colour to Inventor but Alibre just brings in a grey model.! Attached image shows what it looks like in Inventor. I have also attached the original step file. If I can't get this to work I will have to resort...
  9. V

Dimensioning: How to select mid point of a line

I have search the help and checked out the video tutorial on dimensioning a drawing and found no answer. How do I select a mid point of a line to dimension to that instead of the end or line itself. For example, I have an enclosure design with a connector on it and I want to show a dimension...
  10. V

Photo rendering. Better solutions???

Hi all, I am finding that the Hypershot rendering package a bit cumbersome to use and very slow even on my 3Ghz desktop with ATI HD3870 graphics card. All the other CAD apps run just fine with it. Is there anything better out there for a reasonable price that will work easily with Alibre...
  11. V

Screen is corrupt

Hi all, Has anyone else seen this with Alibre Design? If I am working on a project and leave it running over night or for a few hours with no PC access and come back to the computer in the morning or later, I find that the screen is not drawn correctly. The area where the graphics are drawn is...