What's new

Search results

1. B

Exactly what can be referenced in reference planes/axis/points.

Alibre Expert v27 So I create a 100 x 100 square, extrude it 10mm and I have a flat square "slab". I insert 3 reference planes: 1st 20mm offset from side edge 2nd 20mm offset from top edge 3rd on the flat 100 x 100 surface Just for the heck of it, I also insert an axis at the intersection of...
  2. B

Is there still no way to export a surface.

Just upgraded to v27 after quite a few years on "standby". I create a solid model, then create a single surface from several curved faces. I was hoping after 11 years there may now be a way to export a single surface, but when I right click on the surface in the explorer, there's no option. So...
  3. B

What's "crippled" in the Keyshot for Alibre version ?

Does anyone have a link that specifies what features we have available to us in Keyshot for Alibre, or perhaps more simple, what features are disabled. At least this way, whenever I study learning info, I'll be aware if I have that feature or not.
  4. B

Error message when attempting to install latest version

I've currently got v2017 Expert on my PC (Windows 11 Pro) and am looking to upgrade to the latest version v27. So downloaded v27 trial and attempted to install but get the following message (attached image): I downloaded the trial version 2 times and the main non-trial installer once. I get...
  5. B

"Live" interference check possible ??

I have Alibre Expert 2017 and checked out interference checking for the first time. I see it's pretty much a static check where you place your assembly components in whatever position then check for interferences in this position. Is it the same in the latest version, or is there any means of...
  6. B

Rotate gears, etc automatically.

OK, I'm guessing we're entering the realm of Alibre Motion which I don't have, but thought I'd try my luck and ask anyway. I'm mucking about designing a triple lobe impeller for a roots type positive displacement blower (purely educational / curiosity exercise). Just like 2 gears rotating...
  7. B

How to use Equation Editor with assembly constraints

I know how to use the equation editor when sketching, but I can't find how to use it with assembly constraints. Example I have a shaft that I have constrained concentric with a tube. I now want to constrain the shaft axially with respect to the tube so it is central to the tube. So let's say...
  8. B

Can Alibre unfold this ?

Hi, the attached file is just for illustration. The surface in this case is developable to a flat pattern. Is there any way to get one of the curved surfaces of a part like this into Sheet Metal so that is can be flattened ?
  9. B

Grouping and copying a group with constraints.

Starting to hit a wall with this one. Let's say I sketch 2 circles with a square in between them. I then dimension them relative to each other. Is there a way to copy this "group" of sketches, while maintaining the constraints/dimensions. I can use the "move" tool to copy the group but it...
  10. B

All planes greyed out.

Anyone know why my planes are always greyed out in the design explorer. As soon as I start a new part they are greyed out and any new ones I create are greyed out. Using AD 2017 Keith.
  11. B

How to show dashed lines in 2D drawings.

First time using the 2D Drawing section. I'm having problems trying to find out how to show dashed lines for hidden edges. Example - take a counterbored hole. Looking at the counterbored side, you see two concentric circles (solid lines), one for the hole and the 2nd for the counterbore. Flip...
  12. B

NEW ALIBRE INSTALL - REPEATED REBOOT REQUESTS

First of all I can't say how good it felt after I uninstalled Geomagic Design, installed Alibre Design and started it and seen the new Alibre Design startup picture. FANTASTIC :D :D :D Activated fine with the install. However, the issue I'm having is when I start Alibre (still feels good...
  13. B

What did the free upgrade to Design give us.

I wonder if someone could clarify exactly what customers on active maintenance received when 3DS retired Geomagic Elements. To start I had ONE seat of Geomagic Design Elements. Regarding the free upgrade, part of the wording was that you get an EXTRA seat of Geomagic Design. That was in...
  14. B

Anyone had problems re-activating license

I've had Geomagic Design running on my laptop for over a year, all was good. Now I've upgraded to a larger hard drive on this same computer. So I de-activated GD on the old hard drive and all went well, but when I tried to reactivate on the new hard drive (about 15 mins later) I get error 0...
  15. B

Will GD install with only 6GB ram

I'm running the 32 bit version of GD at the moment, and my maintenance runs out next month. Probably won't be renewing. So while I still have maintenance I want to install Win7 64 bit and upgrade to the latest GD version. I'm worried once maintenance expires I won't be able to install the...
  16. B

License expires after 30 days non use !!

I haven't been using GD very much the last year. As a result there's been several times I go to start it up and it has cancelled my license because I haven't used the application for 30 days. What the hell is the purpose of that :evil: I can reactivate it via the "Virtual Dongle" activation...
  17. B

Component Placement and Triad Tool won't work

No idea if I am the problem or this is a bug. Latest version of GM. In assembly I want to move a part. I click on the "Component Placement" button, then click on the part. A triad tool appears on top of the part. However I cannot rotate the part with any of the 3 circles in the Triad tool. The...
  18. B

Cannot insert points at vertices in assembly window

I'm trying to add points to vertices in parts I have brought in to an assembly window. In a part design window I can do this no problem, but when I'm in assembly mode, and hold the mouse over the vertices, the cursor shows nothing to indicate it is recognising a vertex. I have attached 2...
  19. B

How do I constrain this ??

The attached image (NOT done in GM) has a central pentagon and 5 hexagons. In my assembly I have brought in 1 pentagon and 5 hexagons (copies of one part). I am trying to constrain the pentagon & hexagon parts to create such an assembly. I drew the pentagon and the hexagons with identical...
  20. B

Possible to Auto Heal Open Loops ???

I read with excitement that Geomagic can do auto healing of "disjoint ends", but that excitement was short lived when I found over 1000 "open loops" when analysing the sketch. I'm importing DXF files into Drawing, then copying them and pasting into a sketch window. Works fine apart from the...